TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me?

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me? #1  

Davestator

Tractor
Kubota BX24 TLB- JD L120 mower
I am contemplating the purchase of a TZ25DA with FEL and Woods BH6000 vs. Kubota BX24.

My needs are as follows:
3 acres
-No Mowing (JD LX120 and alpacas for that)
-600+ feet of trenching
-Moving drain rock and fill dirt
-Loading hay
-Digging small pond
-Various other "minor digging projects" over the next few years

I know I may be able to get more done quickly with a larger backhoe that I could rent for weekends or weekly, but I have felt the crunch of only having the the JD mower with cart as I have pushed it to the limit every weekend just moving supplies around.
Currently, a larger (and more expensive) tractor is out of the budget.

Will the TZ25DA satisfy my needs? Appreciate the input.

Thank you

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me? #2  
For the money and to fit into your budget, consider a larger used unit.

I too looked at the TZ25 and had sticker shock. For the price, I'd look in the classified ads or visit dealers and negoiate on a larger, but used machine.

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me? #3  
I would also recomend looking at something larger a few years old. In fact I think you could even spend just a tad bit more and get larger in new. Them smaller ones are priced high. I started out with a class 1 with 2.5 acres and with my hills and the fact I use it at work a lot I took it back and got a TC29D class 2. Just don't cut yourself short. Spend some more time thinking about it.

murph

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me? #4  
I have a TZ25DA. I use it with a blade and no problem. I mostly mow with it and I have 2.3 Acres. I have found it to be sturdy, ease to maneuver. The front and rear are a little light. The 4X4 is required for what you speak of. I wish I had a FEL on mine, they were at the dealer but as I mostly mow it seemed cumbersome to have.

With the BH and FEL the weight should not be an issue, with just a FEL I would add some weight to the rear.

Hope this information helps.

Al

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me? #5  
2 warnings, I'm a newbie and I'm partial because I bought a TZ25 this year. Clearing 650' of driveway here in upstate NY almost daily during the winter is a priority so I was dead set on getting a front mount snowthrower. They aren't cheap so that really limited my choices from a financial standpoint. I looked at the TCs, but in the end it was a little large for some of the tight spaces around the house (trees, retaining wall, house angles) so I thought the trade off for a smaller machine with snowthrower made sense. Snow and grass will be my primary uses with a little material transport. The price I got for the TZ, FEL, 60" MMM and 50" front mount snowthrower ($16K) was about the same as a new TC with FEL only. So far I'm impressed by what I can do with that little TZ. That said I agree, buy the largest tractor you can, but that is of course will be limited by your budget. I don't have a BH, but I think digging a pond, trenching and all the other digging might warrant a larger machine.

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me?
Thanks everybody. I have to do more testing and budgeting. My fear is that i will buy too small even though it seems like the best overall fit for the space i have and more routine tasks for teh next few years.

My thought is to see if i can talk the dealer into a "weekend demo" of a larger unit for the major dig of the pond as part of the deal and then use the little guy for years to come.

We'll see.

Thanks for the input.

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me? #7  
Dave,

You could always rent a big machine for a long weekend to hammer out the majority of your pond dig, then use the smaller machine for all the finish/tidy-up work. I think it'd take a long time to dig with the little machine, and you'd be really pushing it to the limit for the month or 2 (or more) that you would be digging out a decent sized pond.

The subs are kind of small when you are doing big jobs. If you only have a year or so of bigger jobs, then settle into smaller ones in the following years, a subcompact would probably be fine. But you will be wishing you had a bigger machine for the short term while doing the big jobs if you don't rent a big machine for those.

I'm curious why you are considering a TZ with a Woods hoe right out of the gate, when in most instances, a BX24 should be quite a bit less expensive. Of course, if you are getting a great deal and the two are priced close, go with the one that you like the best. Also, not sure when it is supposed to happen, but there were rumors and pics a while back that NH is supposed to be offering their own backhoe for the TZ's sometime in 2007.

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me? #8  
I have a TZ24 and would NOT recommend a TZ to anyone. Do yourself a favor and check how the seat is mounted to tractor. The seat mounts are a TZ are absolute garbage and mount to nothing more that thin sheet metal. For a tractor of this price, it should have mounts off the frame. Do a search in the forum for "TZ seat".

At this point New Holland has not addressed the issue. They are bandaiding the issue with a plate WHEN the rear body cracks.

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me? #9  
You will love it no what size it is, as long as it's a diesel. Good luck.

/ TZ25DA Owners! -Is it right for me? #10  
How big a pond are you thinking of digging? 6-8 feet across and a couple of feet deep could be done with a TZ. I have an 12 foor hoe on a TN and I wouldn't dig much more than a 12 to 15 foot pond with it.

Andy