TZ MMM Mulching Kit

/ TZ MMM Mulching Kit #1  

sanzania

I have a TZ22DA w/ a 60"MMM coming. It has a side discharge and I asked about a mulching kit. I was quoted around $450 by 2 dealers and was told it consisted of baffles and a discharge cover. That seems kinda high to me. Does anyone have experience w/ this kit? The other options are a $1900 bagger or buying a $200-$300 lawn sweeper to tow behind.

/ TZ MMM Mulching Kit #2  
I would be interested in this also. Although my grass is a little tall sometimes...
Is there an aftermarket available? With a tow behind I do not have a place to throw the catching.

Al

/ TZ MMM Mulching Kit #3  
I looked on Messicks.com P/N SBA599966

$450 seems to be the price.

What you need to keep in mind is that these things are relatively low volume.

When you think of the cost of an item, you need to include the engineering time & other development costs (proof of manufacturing, setup writing instruction and parts manuals etc) as well as the cost to maintain and control an inventory on it. Since this is a low volume item, a good percentage of the cost is this "overhead" vs. the actual cost of the steel & fabrication.

I'm a mechanical engineer & I can tell you it would take many hours of head scratching and prototypes/fabrication mods to create a product that would perform as well as the $450 off the shelf solution.

/ TZ MMM Mulching Kit
I'm a mechanical designer. I totally understand costs involved, but why not market the kit so you sell more and recoup those engineering costs? Neither dealer knew if one was made or not and had to look it up. It isn't listed under attachments w/ new holland, it is listed under parts. If I remember correctly when I talked to the Massy guy, there wasn't a price difference between the normal and mulching decks (54").

/ TZ MMM Mulching Kit #5  
sanzania said:
I'm a mechanical designer. I totally understand costs involved, but why not market the kit so you sell more and recoup those engineering costs? Neither dealer knew if one was made or not and had to look it up. It isn't listed under attachments w/ new holland, it is listed under parts. If I remember correctly when I talked to the Massy guy, there wasn't a price difference between the normal and mulching decks (54").

The problem is that the total TZ market is small. There are only ~120,000 total compact tractors (<40HP) sold each year in the US - this includes all brands. NH is a distant third to Kubota & Deere, then factor the TZ series vs. TCs. Probably only end up with a couple thousand units per year max...

It's time to start thinking about your new tractor as a "land yacht" - makes it a little easier when you have to spend money on it:D :p :D Have you priced a hydraulic/HST filter :eek:

Enjoy your new machine...