walk 4-rams TC-29 test Drive Temp Issue

/ walk 4-rams TC-29 test Drive Temp Issue #1  

walk4rams

I Test drove the TC-29 tonight and the temp gauge never warmed up ( either a faulty gauge or thermostat issue, if they have thermo stats ?) As posted earlier the TC-29 is approximately 6-7 years old (approx 220 hrs) Since the second owner only put on 40-50 hrs he has done minimal maintence over the past two years. Air filter marginal but the unit was mostly used for snow clearing. I am thinking on having a New holland shop check out the unit before I buy. When I backed up on a incline it seemed like an intemittent bearing noise was heard (front axle issue ?, the seat was stuck in-place front to back. Pins and bushing seemed ok, hydraulics seemed noisy when cold but got better sfter the unit was ran, Do hydrostatic units creep a little when on a hill or should they stay in one place. Diff lock seemed very smooth w/ no resistance. Tires good, bucket straight, th e 716 C blower seemed ok but need 2 shear bolts. The guy wants 11 K including the blower and rear chains but no manuals or maintence records (have not checked W/ dealer re: orignal owner maintence. What do dealers cost to check out used units and should an oil spec be performed ? Sorry for all the questons, the unit appears solid with no bleed off however maintence seems in question and the temp gauge issue, need to make a decision on Friday..... Thanks

/ walk 4-rams TC-29 test Drive Temp Issue #2  
My TC29D is on it's second sensor in 4 years. However mine has always failed in the hot position. I would have a dealer check it first regardless. As for the movement when sitting in the middle position that is just an adjustment or the linkages need to be greased. The howling of the hydraulics is normal on that series of tractor. The noise as you said goes away when warm. You can get a different hydraulic fluid and it will stop. I just never bought the more expensive fluid. I think you will find the tractor is in good working order.

murph

/ walk 4-rams TC-29 test Drive Temp Issue
Thanks for the reply, do the TC-29D units have thermostats, I would guess yes since they have a radiator ? I also need to find the serrial # on the engine or under the hood. The YL #s for the loader ? The tractor serrial number supposedly starts wilth a G ? Still need to track down the source of the bearing intermittent shutter noise when backing up ? it still did it a little when I was in forward movement , just wondering if it may have been a rattle on the rear snow blower chute or something Thanks again

/ walk 4-rams TC-29 test Drive Temp Issue #4  
I think serial # is on left side under operators platform on transmission housing.

/ walk 4-rams TC-29 test Drive Temp Issue #5  
walk4rams:

The serial # is on the left side on the transmission housing. That intermittent noise could be from the snow blower, a loose rear PTO shield, or anything loose. I do no believe that NH's sensors are the best although I have not had any problems with mine yet. Let us know how you made out with this tractor we are all curious. Jay

Thanks for all the help guys. I am now the proud owner of a TC-29 to make my life a little easier. The dealer said the unit was in great shape, just needs a service and a temp sending unit, they even had a 1999 manual for the unit. The intermittent shuddering sound was the hydrostatic trans (normal noise) and everything else checked out. It's washed and ready for weekend maintence. Next a bolt on cutting edge (paint not even warn off the bucket and got to get rid of the orignal battery. Are the dealer batterys good ($65) or are there marine or automotive batterys thet are better ? Also need to get a box scraper for summer work. Thanks for all the help, I was losing sleep for a couple of nights woried about the plunge. My wife was pushing me to pull the trigger much to her credit, great lady. Larry in Reno:):)

/ walk 4-rams TC-29 test Drive Temp Issue #7  
walk4rams:

Congratulations on your tractor acquisition :D! I believe that you will find that the "29" meets your needs. The HST is loud but you should be wearing hearing protecton anyways. Definitely get a FEL cutting edge. You should search out batteries through the TBN search engine there were quite a few entries about "bad" NH batteries around a year ago. I still have my original battery, and I have not had any problems with mine. Prepare to drive yourself crazy :eek: researching out box blades, and again use the TBN search engine. There are certainly a lot of opinions on box blades. Anyways good luck and operate safely. Jay

/ walk 4-rams TC-29 test Drive Temp Issue #8  
Congratulations Walk4rams. You got yourself a nice rig there. Of course I am somewhat Bias as I have one also. She will treat your right.

murph

/ walk 4-rams TC-29 test Drive Temp Issue #9  
I put a gel cell optimia battery in mine; so far so good after 4 years. My 29 has 1300 hours on it. and is a 1999 . One of the first tc 29s

Thanks for the info on the Battery, just changed the oil (darker than I like). It appears that the oil was changed at 57 hrs (previous owner), and I just changed the oil & lubed at 193 hrs. Thinking about an early oil change and not going 100 hrs as allowed to clean up the engine. Everything runs good, even got some rear tire chains for the industrial tires rear tires.