Final Decisions on Buying TC 30

/ Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #1  

chasuezoo

Tractor
NH TC30 (Gear)
I've been diligently searching and reading the comments here to help me in deciding on my first tractor. I've decided on a name brand (reliability, resale) and found a dealer I am happy with in Suffolk, VA. Now to make the final choices on details.

I worked a 9N Ford on a dairy farm in northern Arkansas between college semesters approximately 1,000 years ago. Gained a great deal of respect for their power and simplicity. Now that I am retired, bought the house and 5 acres I want to grow old on, I need to do the chores and maintain my health while doing so. I have gravel roads to tend, a few stumps to pull, and long list of landscaping tasks (provided by my wife of 40 years). No plowing, no snow, no hills, no mowing (use a 42 in riding mower around numerous fruit trees).

Price difference between TC29 "Boomer" and TC 30 not a great issue, but I like the simplicity and track record of TC 30 and am not a slave to having newest model. I have priced the 4WD, powered steering, geared transmission TC 30 with 7308 FEL for $15,800 and Brush Hog box blade for additional $500. Friends have urged me to get "shuttle" for ease in using FEL. Is "shuttle" the same as shiftless shifting and does the TC 30 geared transmission accomplish this??

Just in following this forum, I know there is no such thing as the perfect tractor, but would appreciate your comments on getting appropriate 25 - 30 hp NH tractor setup (TC 29 or 30) for my perceived needs. Would also invite recommendations that include unperceived potential, e.g. resale, wife operation, etc.

Thanks

/ Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #2  
   / Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #3  
chasuezoo said:
Price difference between TC29 "Boomer" and TC 30 not a great issue, but I like the simplicity and track record of TC 30 and am not a slave to having newest model.

Friends have urged me to get "shuttle" for ease in using FEL. Is "shuttle" the same as shiftless shifting and does the TC 30 geared transmission accomplish this??

If you want simplicity in using your loader then get HST. You can get that in both the TC30 and the TC29. Drive both of them a bit before making your decision. The 29 is a much more comfortable tractor and the 30 is built to compete tractor. I don't think you can get the shuttle in the 30??? Don't quote me on that. But I think overall you would like the HST. I have the 20 and love it's comfort features.

Good luck in your decision. You won't go wrong no either one.

murph

/ Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #4  
chasuezoo:

Welcome to TBN :D! I had the same dilemma as you as it relates to the TC30 vs TC29. I tried both, but the comparisons were skewed in that the "30" was geared and the "29" was HST. I wanted HST because of the FEL. I felt much more comfortable on the "29"- the ergonomics were much better and the visibility was better. I was surprised to find that the hydraulics are better with the "29" (according to "specs"). Jay

/ Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #5  
In looking at the New Holland TC30, TC29, etc., it seemed the TC30 was the "K-Mart blue light special" of the line. It looks a bit dated, has the basics and not much more.

I'd pick the TC29 over the TC30...just a matter of opinion.

/ Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #6  
When I last looked at a TC30, the shift lever was to the left of the steering wheel and 2nd and reverse were in line for quick loader work, maybe not a shuttle but possibly similar? Certainly a solid tractor with a history of reliability. TBN owners seem to be happy with the TC30. As previously mentioned, it was available with a hydro tranny as well. Definitely worth trying both.

/ Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #7  
My first real tractor was the TC-30, 4WD and gear transmission. I loved it. It is tough and a hard worker and easy to handle. I traded up to the TC-33DA because at my age, the clutch just about killed my left knee after 3 to 4 hours of seat time (the shift lever is simple and easy to use, sort of like a shuttle). The seat is not very ergonomic and after 3 to 4 hours of seat time, my butt was hurting. The TC-29DA is ver similar to the TC-33DA as far as seats are concerned and the hydro trans does not bother bad left knees. I would recommend the TC-29DA for your consideration.

/ Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #8  
Please note that the TC 29 and TC 33 are no longer produced; some may still be on dealers lot. New models are the TC 31 and TC 34.

/ Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #9  
I purchased my TC 30 nearly 3 years and 400 hours ago, and I love it. For me, it's the perfect combination of features, guts, price, and ease of maintenance.

/ Final Decisions on Buying TC 30 #10  
I'm also curious how the two dealers in your area compared on the price and service. I would guess you tried Nansemond NH and Surry NH. What were your experiences?