Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

Default Re: EHSS

Quote Originally Posted by RollingsFarms
    can someone go into more detail about the EHSS? how does it work? is it a cross between HST and gear transmissions? would it be ideal for disking and running a rotary cutter?
    I plow, rototill and bush hog with my EHSS (power shuttle) all the time.
    Bob

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Quote Originally Posted by RollingsFarms
    can someone go into more detail about the EHSS? how does it work? is it a cross between HST and gear transmissions? would it be ideal for disking and running a rotary cutter?
    The shuttle lever operates electric solenoids which activates hydraulic clutch packs. Usually one pack for forward and one for reverse.
    Pretty simple compared to a hydro.

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

I guess the newer ones are different as to the pedal. My 2120 has a conventional clutch, between the engine and the clutch packs. It's two-stage for drive and PTO.
    The EHSS works great, since as Doc Bob says you can run at moderate rpm (I use the foot throttle a lot) yet still have the easy reversing. And when you're working in a field, you have the simple operation of a gear tractor.
    I also rev down before reversing, to save strain on the parts, but it will reverse at full rpm. Also have a turtle/rabbit switching the speed of the reversing. I stay in rabbit most of the time.
    Mine hasn't broken (1300 hrs, 1993) so I think it's swell!
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12