Ford Red vs Blue Color Change - When & Why

/ Ford Red vs Blue Color Change - When & Why #1  

kwright

Tractor
NH TC21D Boomer w/60
Curiosity question only...

During the late 50's or early 60's, I don't know exactly when, Ford changed their base color from red to blue. This basic blue color has remained with us to this day, continuing with the NH equipment.

Though the choice of color isn't really an issue, I've always wondered what the motive was. Does anyone know what prompted this relatively significant decision at the time? This would be interesting trivia...

REAL horses weigh a ton.

/ Ford Red vs Blue Color Change - When & Why #2  
<font color=red>My only guess would be Ford wanted to get away from MF. They use to do tractors jointly. </font color=red> <font color=blue> Another good reason is that no other major manufacture uses blue. Look at the Ford emblem on a truck? </font color=blue>

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Ford Red vs Blue Color Change - When & Why #3  
The change occured in 1962, when Ford introduced a new line. The prior line "the hundred series" were the last Fords to bear the red belly. From what I've read, starting back in 1939, right up through the 50's, Fords biggest compeitor was Farmall. I'm just guessing, but I think they wanted to use a different color then their competion.

/ Ford Red vs Blue Color Change - When & Why #4  
Looks like NH is slowing getting away from the blue, only the hood and fenders on the new NHs are blue. The rest of the tractor is a charcoal grey. Only last year the entire tractor on some models was blue.

/ Ford Red vs Blue Color Change - When & Why #5  
new holland has actually cahnged color once again. the new blue has more of a purple tint to it. it does make for a more attracytive tractor.

/ Ford Red vs Blue Color Change - When & Why #6  
During the 50's the Ford tractor range was expanded at both the Dagenham and Dearborn factories. In 1955, American farmers were offered a choice of five different Ford tractor models, with additional low specification and rowcrop versions avaiable. An eye-catching grey & red color scheme was introduced with the Powermaster series. The color scheme in Britain had continued to be Blue & Orange until 1962 when the company standardized on a Blue & Grey for all production tractors both US & Britain built.

This is a direct quote from the book "FORD & FORDSON TRACTORS" by Michael Williams.