Ballast TC29D, Industrial Tires and rear weights question.

/ TC29D, Industrial Tires and rear weights question. #1  

glthorne

Tractor
TC29D, TZ24DA
One of the tractors we have is a TC29D with the industrial tires. We have a Bush Hog brand front loader on it and was wondering if, for the rear, wheel weights, 3-pnt ballest box or landscape box/blade would be the better way to go. We've been using her mainly for dirt, rock and mulch moving as we continue our landscaping projects.

What have some of you done with this size Boomer?

/ TC29D, Industrial Tires and rear weights question. #2  
glthorne:

Welcome to TBN :D! I have weighted (CaCl filled) rear
R-1's on my TC29DA. It is still pretty light weight in the rear when moving heavier material so I generally keep an attachment on the 3PH. This helps with the "bounce" :). Jay

/ TC29D, Industrial Tires and rear weights question. #3  
glthorne said:
One of the tractors we have is a TC29D with the industrial tires. We have a Bush Hog brand front loader on it and was wondering if, for the rear, wheel weights, 3-pnt ballest box or landscape box/blade would be the better way to go. We've been using her mainly for dirt, rock and mulch moving as we continue our landscaping projects.

What have some of you done with this size Boomer?
I have a TC25D and put wheel weights on. I'm not a big fan of CaCl due to the damage it can cause if it leaks. Anything on the 3ph is something else to connect and disconnect as well as something you have to remember is there when backing up, turning, etc. Perhaps this isn't an issue for you.

BTW, I didn't install the factory weights. Someone on TBN (5030) made me brackets that bolt to the rear wheels that allowed me to hang standard weights (the kind you can buy at a sporting goods store) on the wheels. Using a combination of 50 lb and 25 lb weights, I have the maximum (according to the Operators Manual) rear weight installed. I've lifted a bucket full of heavy, wet snow up and over a 6 foot fence without the back end feeling light. BTW, I have the 7308 loader.

/ TC29D, Industrial Tires and rear weights question. #4  
Mine is red -- the Case DX29 version of your machine. I have the CNH loader, which puts the bucket further out in front of the front wheels and alters the leverage a fair amount compared to a conventional loader.

I have about 130 lb of home-made weights on each wheel, about 900 lb. of concrete hanging on the 3 point. I have an Add-a-Grapple on the bucket which puts about another 140 lb or so out front. I also have a home-made toothbar that weighs about 75 lb on the bucket. I'm running Ag tires. I move dirt, rocky dirt, mulch, oak/hickory/locust firewood, same stuff as logs to become firewood, and pretty good sized rocks around my tilted ground. Even with all the weight, carrying a heavy piece of field stone or a 12 or 14' hickory or locust log across the hill can get interesting, the logs especially since any irregularity in the ground is multiplied out at the ends of the log. My ground is pretty much all 4/12 pitch -- think pole barn roof with dirt, trees, rocks, brush and grass on it. With heavy loads when I must move cross slope the load is low and on the high side of the bucket.

I have had the tractor on 3 wheels when pointed uphill once in a while by lifting a rear, and on the front two when trying to lift a too big field stone when I didn't have the wheel weights on. With them, it won't pick up the stone or the rears, so I figure I have about the correct amount of weight now.

I do not have the tires loaded, and run about 9 psi in the rear with 35 in the fronts. I opted for the big tires when I ordered them.

I get bounce from the seat mostly, very little from the tires, when carrying something heavy. Still the seat bounce is enough to get my attention in a hurry since my previous tractor did not have a suspension seat and any bounce I felt was the whole tractor moving.

/ TC29D, Industrial Tires and rear weights question. #5  
I have my tires filled with liquid. Works great moving dirt. If I'm doing lots of dirt, then I put the box blade on for more weight. Good luck.

/ TC29D, Industrial Tires and rear weights question. #6  
My 2 cents. I have a TC29 with the R-4's and they arent filled. I dont have wheel weights. I use a 60" box blade which works fine for manure and general cleanup. Hauling sand or gravel gets a bit hairy but I dont do that very much. For example I have to be in 4wd or I cant back out of the pile! I would vote for a ballast box.

/ TC29D, Industrial Tires and rear weights question. #7  
According to the documentation that came with my 2120 which I find works very well, for maximum loader operation you need both loaded tires (or wheel weights) and 3pt hitch weight. The combined equilavent weight should equal the max weight you want to lift in your loader. 3pt hitch weight is multiplied by 1.5 to get effective weight due to the leverage effect. So if you want to lift 2000 lbs and have 800 lbs of tire load, you need 800 lbs of 3 pt weight which when multiplied by 1.5 equals 1200 lbs effective weight. Add that 1200 to the 800 wheel weight and you get the 2000 lbs you need.

Andy

/ TC29D, Industrial Tires and rear weights question. #8  
AndyMA said:
According to the documentation that came with my 2120 which I find works very well, for maximum loader operation you need both loaded tires (or wheel weights) and 3pt hitch weight. The combined equilavent weight should equal the max weight you want to lift in your loader. 3pt hitch weight is multiplied by 1.5 to get effective weight due to the leverage effect. So if you want to lift 2000 lbs and have 800 lbs of tire load, you need 800 lbs of 3 pt weight which when multiplied by 1.5 equals 1200 lbs effective weight. Add that 1200 to the 800 wheel weight and you get the 2000 lbs you need.

Andy

I tend to agree with Andy :)- Jay