Ford 800 not getting power

/ Ford 800 not getting power #1  

flyfishchris

I have a ford 800 tractor, and I have only had it for 6 months so I don’t know it’s history but for the last six months it has been great!. Anyway while bush hogging the other day I noticed that the tractor didn’t seem to have as much power as it normally does. It started off great but about an hour into mowing it starting loosing power. It won’t even go up a small hill! This is true if the PTO is on or off and in any gear. If it gets a good running start on flat land it will make it up the hill but starting on any grade the tractor won’t budge. The engine is running fine with no noticeable changes and the PTO works fine too when the tractor is moving ok. It is like it just isn’t getting any power!

As I said the engine sounds fine and the oil level is ok and the brakes aren’t set. Any suggestions or ideas what could be happening?? I thought bad plugs or maybe the carb? I don’t have a lot of experience with this so any help would be great.

Some one suggested maybe the clutch but it goes into gear just fine and the clutch is firm not soft (it feels the same as it did before this happened) could it be the clutch?

Thanks in advance

/ Ford 800 not getting power #2  
I would clean your settling bulb it may have water or dirt in it.
Then check your plug's and gap them i dont have the spec's .
The point's are next in line to check and set the gap see if there burned and replace if there bad.
Could be a bad plug wire or coil wire .
The last thing to check if you know how first set the carb and the other is to rebuild the carb if it needs it.
These thing's could be the cause if the motor is good and good compression .
Also check to make shure it is not running hot.
Does it act like it running out of fuel or spit and cough?

/ Ford 800 not getting power
It doesnt spit or cough it is purring like a kitten. The odd thing to me (Iam a novice with tractors) there has been no change add all in the way it sounds or feels it just isnt getting enough power to move well. If i am going down hill or on flat ground it slowly builds up speed and runs fin euntil a hill or big turn, anything that requires extra hp then it just slowly tries to build speed back up, but the engine sounds perfect.

Thanks

/ Ford 800 not getting power #4  
Well it could be a govenor or govenor spring but i still would check for fuel and spark first as it may not be firing on all the cyliders .If the clutch is slipping it would run fine and seem to loose power also. You can hold the brake and slowly let the clutch out see if it grabs and goes on but dont slip it much it could cost you a clutch.

/ Ford 800 not getting power #5  
I guess i should add if the engine revs up and seems to have good hp and seems to run good then you could hit the brake to see if the clutch slip's on level ground.

/ Ford 800 not getting power #6  
sounds like it may be starving for fuel. Do as Full Pull mentioned and clean the fuel bowl,maybe een clean the carb. The tractor starts and runs well but slowly loses power,could be lean on fuel.Look inside the tank either on a side hill or when its low on gas to see what the bottom of the tank looks like. Also might check the fuel selector under the tank, couple of places to start

/ Ford 800 not getting power #7  
Much as it hurts, I'm thinkin' clutch.

Chris, the pedal would often feel the same. Try warming the unit up, and driving on flat ground to a hill...once you're climbing the hill, increase RPM with your throttle.

See if speed increases with corresponding increase in RPM, or if motor revs with no increase in ground speed.

/ Ford 800 not getting power #8  
My guess would also be clutch if engine sound doesn't change.. yet wheels stop moving going up a hill.

Have you adjusted the clutch? By the way.. what model of the 800 series are we talking about?

If tractor stalls down then it aint the clutch.

Next guess would be fuel restriction.. possibly main jet.. next guess is air.

get back with us on the clutch issue.. If it is a clutch.. i hope you got an 840 and not an 860..

Soundguy

/ Ford 800 not getting power
KaiB said:
Much as it hurts, I'm thinkin' clutch.

Chris, the pedal would often feel the same. Try warming the unit up, and driving on flat ground to a hill...once you're climbing the hill, increase RPM with your throttle.

See if speed increases with corresponding increase in RPM, or if motor revs with no increase in ground speed.

I will try that tonight and reply back later this eve.

Sound guy I am not sure what model # it is any idea how to ID??

/ Ford 800 not getting power #10  
a 4 speed transmission would be a 840 or 841
a 5 speed transmission would be a 850 or 851 (non-live pto)
a 5 speed transmission with live pto would be a 860 or 861.

a 10 speed SOS would be 871 or 881

The model # and serial number is on the left side of the transmission on a horizontal flat area directly behind and slighly higher than the starter. It's also under the battery tray a bit.

jb