Backhoe Best procedure for taking Backhoe off?

/ Best procedure for taking Backhoe off? #1  

Roto

Gold Member
Tractor
TC55DA and TC33D
Im taking the BH off tomorrow and wanted to know best way. This is my first time. I know there is 2 pins and 2 hoses. Im guessing you use the outriggers to lift just right then pull pins and drive out then unhook hoses or something to that effect but what about outriggers? do you then put them back up before unhooking hoses? what does the BH sit on? it has to balance somehow.

Mike

/ Best procedure for taking Backhoe off? #2  
I put a piece of 3/4 plywood on the ground where the BH will be and park the box part of the hoe over the plywood. The pins will be loose at some point, maybe even when the hoe is just sitting? I am not familiar with your hoe. But find that point and pull them out. Then put the bucket (curled) out about 1/2 way and lower the sabilizers to lift the hoe off of the mounts. Lift it higher than it needs to be, then put 3 jack stands under the box. One by the swing post and two farther back. The stands will not sink into the ground as the plywood will spread the weight out. Lower the hoe onto the stands, shut off the engine, unhook the hoses such that you can form a loop on the hoe and on the tractor. Slowly roll the tractor forward.

Tip: put the hoe in a spot that is flat and level. It stinks trying to line up the hoe to tractor if the tractor keeps rolling away or too close.

/ Best procedure for taking Backhoe off?
i didnt know about any jack stands or anything. why cant you lower it down on the ground with out riggers then unhook hoses? anybody else got a procedure?
mike

/ Best procedure for taking Backhoe off? #4  
Roto said:
i didnt know about any jack stands or anything. why cant you lower it down on the ground with out riggers then unhook hoses? anybody else got a procedure?
mike

Mike,

I guess you don't have any documentation on this.

I have a Woods BH90-X and am not sure what differences there are with your NH BH, but I suspect they're similar. I've attached the Woods pages that discuss how my BH is mounted and removed, hope that gives you some help.

View attachment WoodsBH90-X mount dismount procedures.pdf

This is a somewhat simplified version of the pdf:
1. Position tractor on a hard, level surface and center the backhoe boom.
2. Lower stabilizers and take backhoe weight off tractor.
3. Lower boom and dipper to form a 90-degree angle and rest bucket on the ground.
4. Use the boom to relieve excess pressure on 1" bolts and remove bolts.
5. Tilt backhoe main frame to separate slots on the backhoe brackets from the tractor brackets.
6. Raise stabilizers until backhoe brackets slide out of hooks on the bottom of the tractor brackets.
7. Move tractor forward to clear backhoe brackets.
8. Lower backhoe until backhoe main frame is firmly on the ground. Retract boom and dipper and place bucket cutting edge flat on the ground.
NOTE: It may be necessary to place backhoe main frame on 6" blocks if backhoe hose lengths are not long enough to achieve proper clearance when separating backhoe from tractor.
9. Turn off engine, set brakes, and remove key.
10. Disconnect hydraulic hoses.

Thanks! Good info. I will give my manual a quick look and see. I was not sure about the blocks and such underneath.

Mike

/ Best procedure for taking Backhoe off? #6  
Here's how I store my BH.

Really need to build a dolly for though. Makes remounting so much easier and faster.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 585
   / Best procedure for taking Backhoe off? #7  
Until I build PineRidge's BH dolly, I just placed a sheet of plywood under the BH. There are two pins at the front of the subframe and the bar that fits into the "C" bracket under the PTO that attach the BH to the tractor. Removing the BH unit is accomplished by using the stablizers and the bucket. You are just pivoting up and down on the stablizers, using the bucket to raise or lower the front of the subframe. First step is to put the stabilzers down and the bucket just touching the floor. The idea is to just take enough pressure off the front pins so that you can easily remove them. This takes a little practice, since you don't need to move the frame much.
With the pins removed, I then use the stablizers to take the weight off the rear bar resting in the "C" bracket. Again, it doesn't take much movement to take the pressure off the bottom of the bracket. Move the tractor slowly forward until the bar clears the bracket, but not so far as to stretch the hose.
The subframe and BH are now disconnected from the tractor and you can use the stablizers and bucket to slowly lower the unit to the ground. I put a couple of short pieces of 2x4 under the front of the subframe, but no blocks or stands under the rear of the BH.
The tractor is running during the above. Once the BH is on the ground, I shut the tractor off and move the stabilizer handles to equalize the pressure in the line. I disconnect the power-beyond hose, then disconnect and reconnect the hose under the driver platform.
Restart the tractor and pull forward.
To reattach, back the tractor up so that the sub-frame is square with the pin tabs on the tractor. Raise the 3pt, shut the tractor off and reconnect the power-beyond and the hose at the front of the tractor. You need to be close enough to easily attach the hoses, but the support bar needs to be in front of the bracket. Start the tractor and slowly raise the BH and frame, using the stabilzers and bucket. You want to be able for the rear bar to just clear the bottom of the "C" bracket and the subframe remains level as you are raising the BH. Slowly back the tractor until the bar slides into the bracket. I leave the tractor running, in case I need to move the subframe slightly to make inserting the pins by hand (no hammer) an easy task. At this point, you are ready to dig.

Hope this helps.

excellent description!! I didnt know about the bucket using to relieve pin pressure which is a good thing and makes sense and lowering to the ground or to some kind of blocks to keep it off the ground sounds easy. i will give her a whirl tomorrow and time myself first time. im usually pretty good at these things so we will see.

Mike

/ Best procedure for taking Backhoe off? #9  
Off is easy - it's back on that is a bear. Took me 1.5 hours with my New Woods BH80-X. Of course the loose bolt on the subframe crossmember didn't help - had to re-align everything - bar clamps didn't work to pull frame together - tire hit them, I ended up using a ratchet strap.

I'm hoping the next episode is less painfull. I half wanted to park the thing against a tree - I kept pushing it back deeper into the garage while trying to persuade it...

/ Best procedure for taking Backhoe off? #10  
A remount with an out of align sub-frame is an oxymoron. :D

The good news (with a properly aligned subframe), each remount will take less time than the time before. And.....after you've had enough fun and run out of words to use...you'll eventually want to build a dolly for your BH and really knock off some time and aggravation.