Backhoe Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem

/ Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem #1  

jeffd

Tractor
TC24DA
I have an older Ford 555 (late 70's) and it has a power reversing transmission. The problem is it acts like a car that is low on tranny fluid. Going into forward, sometimes you have to wait or throttle it a little before it will engage, on the flat, it seems to always go into reverse. Anytime you go on an steep incline, it will stop moving and you will have to pull your way back off with the rear hoe. On the level, it is still very useable, but any side to side tilting will stop it as well. I have changed filters and the old ones were not that old, still where white and had NAPA on them. Now, the transmission does leak, drips out of the bell housing. This may leak out 5 gallons over several days of work, not that bad, but bad enough.

I also have been running hyd/trans oil in both the hydraulics and the transmission. If this is not right, let me know.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

/ Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem #2  
sounds like time for a complete rebuild.as far as the oil,you are using the right type in both.the foward clutches are worn out,by the way you describe it.

/ Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem #3  
I have an older Ford 555 (late 70's) and it has a power reversing transmission. The problem is it acts like a car that is low on tranny fluid. Going into forward, sometimes you have to wait or throttle it a little before it will engage, on the flat, it seems to always go into reverse. Anytime you go on an steep incline, it will stop moving and you will have to pull your way back off with the rear hoe. On the level, it is still very useable, but any side to side tilting will stop it as well. I have changed filters and the old ones were not that old, still where white and had NAPA on them. Now, the transmission does leak, drips out of the bell housing. This may leak out 5 gallons over several days of work, not that bad, but bad enough.

I also have been running hyd/trans oil in both the hydraulics and the transmission. If this is not right, let me know.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTEmy 555 backhoe is doing exactly the same thing I just bought mine was going to see if trans was low of fluid but not sure were to check it does it have a dipstick and weres it at and were do you add fluid if you can help i'd appr. it thanks

/ Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem #4  
I'm not an expert, but it sure sounds like a slipping torque converter to me. Those tractors have a torque converter driving a gear transmission. The shuttle control just operates a solenoid that drives a reversing gear in the transmission. The torque converter is the only thing that can slip.

/ Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem #5  
Re: thks will check

I'm not an expert, but it sure sounds like a slipping torque converter to me. Those tractors have a torque converter driving a gear transmission. The shuttle control just operates a solenoid that drives a reversing gear in the transmission. The torque converter is the only thing that can slip.

thks il check it out hope just low on fluid ps were do you check tran.fluid on 555 backhoe thks

/ Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem #6  
I have an LB75B New Holland and the dipstick/fill port is on the left of the engine back by the firewall. It may be/ probably is different on the 555.

/ Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem #8  
TC AND forward & reverse clutch packs can slip. If it acts up in one direction only, it's likely that particular directional clutch.

I'm sure you are right. The clutch pack sounds exactly like the symptoms. That'll teach me to not give advice without m manual in my hands.

/ Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem #9  
Fellas, I know this is an old post, but maybe someone is still watching. If the 555 is anything like the 455c, the control modulator may also be a culprit.

It requires 7vdc for forward and reverse to actuate the solenoid that is located on top of the transmission by the bell housing. A real pain to get to as you have to remove 5 panels, take out the fuel tank, and remove the cover on the transmission that has 4 three quarter inch bolts.

Getting to the harness connector for the solenoid is a feat of contortionism for your body and fingers as it is really only accessible from the top where the fuel tank used to be.

The wires that send the signal are blue with a yellow/green stripe and that remains true all the way back to the shuttle shifter.

My problem is that I only have forward. Having tested the module and found the reverse measuring only 2.6vdc, the manual tells me to replace the module, which I have at $300 a pop. The wanker still doesn't work.

Suggestions from the seasoned gentlemen on this?

/ Ford 555 backhoe transmission problem #10  
Fellas, I know this is an old post, but maybe someone is still watching. If the 555 is anything like the 455c, the control modulator may also be a culprit.

It requires 7vdc for forward and reverse to actuate the solenoid that is located on top of the transmission by the bell housing. A real pain to get to as you have to remove 5 panels, take out the fuel tank, and remove the cover on the transmission that has 4 three quarter inch bolts.

Getting to the harness connector for the solenoid is a feat of contortionism for your body and fingers as it is really only accessible from the top where the fuel tank used to be.

The wires that send the signal are blue with a yellow/green stripe and that remains true all the way back to the shuttle shifter.

My problem is that I only have forward. Having tested the module and found the reverse measuring only 2.6vdc, the manual tells me to replace the module, which I have at $300 a pop. The wanker still doesn't work.

Suggestions from the seasoned gentlemen on this?

'C' series intruduced electronic controls for the 4x4 PRT. All prior versions used completely mechanically controlled valving.

Low voltage to the R solenoid with the solenoid connected or disconnected? If connected, suspect a solenoid coil partially failed.