Old New Holland paint schemes

/ Old New Holland paint schemes #1  

HillbillyFarmer

Silver Member
OK, I'll try this. . .

Does anyone know if there is a contact point at New Holland or elsewhere to get information on original paint schemes?
I'm particularly trying to find out the original paint on a NH S55 hay rake.

/ Old New Holland paint schemes #2  
HillbillyFarmer said:
OK, I'll try this. . .

Does anyone know if there is a contact point at New Holland or elsewhere to get information on original paint schemes?
I'm particularly trying to find out the original paint on a NH S55 hay rake.

I don't do as many as I used to, but to make a few extra bucks, I will buy, rebuild, repaint, and re-sell implements and tractors. I'll do them in the wintertime more often than not. I like to paint them as close to OEM as possible, even decal them as accurately as I can.

The best source for accurate paint detail and decal locations is old sales brochures. I've always been able to find something of use on EBAY. Usually they'll run anywhere from a couple bucks to $10 or $15 for implement sales literature. New Holland parts manuals for individual implements will have decal locations and paint color codes, but they aren't very helpfull with the actual paint scheme.

Another source is old farm periodicals. Prarie Farmer, Successful Farming, ect.... Lots of adds. New Holland advertised heavily over the years. Pictures of the #55 rake should be reasonably easy to find in magazines. They're usually available at bigger antique farm shows, flea markets, swap meets, ect.

/ Old New Holland paint schemes
Farmwithjunk said:
I don't do as many as I used to, but to make a few extra bucks, I will buy, rebuild, repaint, and re-sell implements and tractors. I'll do them in the wintertime more often than not. I like to paint them as close to OEM as possible, even decal them as accurately as I can.

The best source for accurate paint detail and decal locations is old sales brochures. I've always been able to find something of use on EBAY. Usually they'll run anywhere from a couple bucks to $10 or $15 for implement sales literature. New Holland parts manuals for individual implements will have decal locations and paint color codes, but they aren't very helpfull with the actual paint scheme.

Another source is old farm periodicals. Prarie Farmer, Successful Farming, ect.... Lots of adds. New Holland advertised heavily over the years. Pictures of the #55 rake should be reasonably easy to find in magazines. They're usually available at bigger antique farm shows, flea markets, swap meets, ect.

Thanks for the good advice JunkGuy!
I hope you're getting more rain over there in KY than we are here in WV.

/ Old New Holland paint schemes #4  
HillbillyFarmer said:
Thanks for the good advice JunkGuy!
I hope you're getting more rain over there in KY than we are here in WV.

After our 2-1/2 month drought, it's now muddy here. We had 7 days of off and on rain in a 12 day span. Over 7" total. I just walked in from checking corn for Japanese Beetles and had several pounds of mud stuck to my boots when I made it back to the shop.

And that's a GOOD thing.

/ Old New Holland paint schemes #5  
My one book has an old black and white photo of the NH 55 hay rake with the straight axle. It appears to be all red though. It could just be the picture as I am trying to find a better one.

Does your rake have the straight axle or offset? All the other pictures look like they are painted the same as the new ones are.

/ Old New Holland paint schemes #6  
Robert_in_NY said:
My one book has an old black and white photo of the NH 55 hay rake with the straight axle. It appears to be all red though. It could just be the picture as I am trying to find a better one.

Does your rake have the straight axle or offset? All the other pictures look like they are painted the same as the new ones are.
An "S55", or Super 55, should have the offset axle.

/ Old New Holland paint schemes #7  
I used to go to a site called "yesterday's tractors" where the main interest was in old machinery. There might be people there who could either give you the answer you want or tell you where to find it.

/ Old New Holland paint schemes #8  
dgl24087 said:
An "S55", or Super 55, should have the offset axle.

I know, I was trying to confirm the model with the OP. Was the 55 painted all red as the black and white picture I have of it makes it look like all one color.

/ Old New Holland paint schemes #9  
Farmwithjunk said:
After our 2-1/2 month drought, it's now muddy here. We had 7 days of off and on rain in a 12 day span. Over 7" total. I just walked in from checking corn for Japanese Beetles and had several pounds of mud stuck to my boots when I made it back to the shop.

And that's a GOOD thing.

Bad for our area, near rice harvesting time, this much rain isn"t needed. Weather man stated Friday night that we were 7.75 inches above the average; and it's STILL raining!

Gotta Go!!!!!!!!!
Looked outside and saw two ducks trying to hotwire my boat!!!!!

/ Old New Holland paint schemes #10  
Robert_in_NY said:
I know, I was trying to confirm the model with the OP. Was the 55 painted all red as the black and white picture I have of it makes it look like all one color.
I have a book with a b&w pic as well, and it looks to be all one color. I know the 56 was the current red and yellow paint scheme, can't find anything on the Super 55, probably due to it's short production run.