Problem with Ford 3000 tractor..

/ Problem with Ford 3000 tractor.. #1  

jnixon

Tractor
Kubotas, L2800, B6200, RTV900..
I've got an early 70's Ford 3000 tractor that came with a peice of land I purchased a few years back. I've used the tractor roughly 50 hours and it's ran extremely well in the past.

I recently started it up and it starts fine, runs smooth for about 4 - 5 minutes at low idle until it warms up and at that point the engine dies and it will not start again. I can let it cool down and sit for about an hour, try again, runs for about 4-5 mins again and dies. I've gone thru this about 5 = 6 times and I'm not sure where to go with this ? I've put fresh gas into the tank and checked major fluids.

Any ideas? The tractor is a Ford 3000 Gas engine, 47HP, 157ci 3cyl..

Thanks in Advance.

/ Problem with Ford 3000 tractor.. #2  
Welcome to TBN. Does the fuel cap have a vent? Sounds like it might be stopped up. Loosen the cap and try it again, see if it still dies. Good luck.

/ Problem with Ford 3000 tractor.. #3  
Does it start to run rough before it dies or does it just die? if it runs rough first you coudl be sucking air through an opening between your intake manifold and the engine head. If it is doing this you'll be able to tell by spraying WD-40 along the intake gasket, when it sucks the fluid in it plugs the gap for a second and it will run great then run rough again.

Is the sediment bowl full of junk?

/ Problem with Ford 3000 tractor.. #4  
It also could be the coil breaking down .

/ Problem with Ford 3000 tractor..
Birdhunter1 said:
Does it start to run rough before it dies or does it just die? if it runs rough first you coudl be sucking air through an opening between your intake manifold and the engine head. If it is doing this you'll be able to tell by spraying WD-40 along the intake gasket, when it sucks the fluid in it plugs the gap for a second and it will run great then run rough again.

Is the sediment bowl full of junk?

Actually yes I forgot to mention that it does start to run a little rough before it dies. I will try what you suggest tomorrow and report back on my findings.

Thanks!

BTDT said:
Welcome to TBN. Does the fuel cap have a vent? Sounds like it might be stopped up. Loosen the cap and try it again, see if it still dies. Good luck.

Thanks.. I will check this out as I don't recall it having a vent.

FULLPULL said:

How would I go about testing that ?

/ Problem with Ford 3000 tractor.. #8  
I dont want to send you on a wild goose chase .I always checked mine with a good coil i just changed them out. Thats all i knew to do . Some of the members here might have a better idea .I know if the coil fails you wont get no spark or a weak spark. You can check the fuel bowl first and see if thats it as stated above.

/ Problem with Ford 3000 tractor.. #9  
Is the battery fully charged? Does it turn over slowly while starting? If it's running out of juice (due to alt. not charging and battery being run down) it will run till voltage drops then die. But your saying it starts back up, so that's probably not your problem.

/ Problem with Ford 3000 tractor.. #10  
FULLPULL said:

My guess would be it's PROBABLY the coil breaking down. I owned a 3000 Gasser for 31 years. It needed 3 replsacement coils in it's lifetime. ALWAYS did just as described when old one was failing. That engine produces a fair amount of heat when worked hard. Coil location seems to be vulnerable IMHO.

I sold the ol' gasser and bought a 3000 diesel 2 years ago. No more coil issues at least.