Oil & Fuel TC55 "real" fuel capacity

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity #1  

Diesel-ME

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA EHSS 4Wd
Manual says 13.5 gallons.

The country store down the road has diesel so I top off frequently. But today I decided to run it down to the left side of the yellow warning area on the guage. I would have thought I'd take on 12 gallons, but still just 9.

Anyone ever run it down lower than that?

I wouldn't want to run out of fuel, but I hate to stop working if I knew that I could go for another hour or so....

? Paul

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity #2  
I've never had the guts to run mine very low for fear of getting air in it but that's a good question. I think the fuel gauges are not very accurate, mine stays more around the fuel area and then seems to just drop fairly fast. Let me know if you find something out but i'm sure the manuel is correct. I seem to be pretty satisfied with the fuel consuption though so far.

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity #3  
same thing here. Once she is near the empty mark usually 22 to 25 liters of diesel fill her right up. :) yeah... she is very good on fuel I find.

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity #4  
My 2 big-er diesels state 20 gal tanks.. but actually take closer to 21.x when 'dry'.. and lines empty/new filter.. etc..

Soundguy

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity #5  
I think they adjust the gauge so it hits "E" a good ways before true empty so you dont run out... I know my JD take a lot of fuel after the gauge passes 'F'ull

On my Dodge Ram 2500 (w/ cummins) the idiot fuel light comes on when you have 7 or 8 gallons left, out of a 34 gallon tank.. From what I read in another forum the did this because with less fuel in the tank the harder it is on the fuel pump, and the fuel pump can get hotter (if you can believe what you read on the internet LOL)

Brian

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity #6  
thatguy said:
I think they adjust the gauge so it hits "E" a good ways before true empty so you dont run out... I know my JD take a lot of fuel after the gauge passes 'F'ull

On my Dodge Ram 2500 (w/ cummins) the idiot fuel light comes on when you have 7 or 8 gallons left, out of a 34 gallon tank.. From what I read in another forum the did this because with less fuel in the tank the harder it is on the fuel pump, and the fuel pump can get hotter (if you can believe what you read on the internet LOL)

Brian

My new Truck has a fuel cooler from factory!

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity #7  
i have the tc55d and ran it to the out mark or bottom of guage where it should be empty and it took 10 gallons so it will go to the bottom of guage but dont go by mine the gauges could read different.

Mike

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity
I guess it's safe to conclude that we have a 3 gallon reserve.

I'll let you know if I temp fate by getting a few gallons in to that reserve :D

~paul

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity #9  
I'f you've ever had to bleed an older diesel.. you really-really-really try NOT to use that reserve.. (wink)..

Soundguy

/ TC55 "real" fuel capacity #10  
I ran mine a little too long when I first brought it home. It had been on the "empty" mark for probably an hour or more. When I took the cap off to fill it up, I could see the bottom of the fuel tank. It was almost completely out. It took nearly 13 gallons to fill it up.:eek: