1700 injector pump bleeding

/ 1700 injector pump bleeding #1  

tris66

I have a little 1700. I ran it out of diesel while mowing. I filled it up, bled lines, and now it doesn't want to start. It is simply not pumping fuel. I have the big 500ish page service manual and it has nothing on priming or bleeding the pump. In fact the parts diagram does not even have a bleeder screw marked. :mad: Can anyone offer a suggestion?

/ 1700 injector pump bleeding #3  
I don't have a 1700.. though I believe jethro does..

In any case.. on many older diesels.. you can get by by cracking the lines at the injectors with a wrench and cranking over till you see fuel bubble up. Close that line.. let starter rest, and then do the other ( inthe case of a 2 cyl.. which i believe a 1700 is.. etc.. )

In real finicky cases.. bleed as well as you can, and then get someone to pull you off.. ( wife inthe car? ).. use high gear / range, and let the clutch out.. that usually gets er.

Once started, run her good to finish it up..

Soundguy

/ 1700 injector pump bleeding #4  
Soundguy said:
I don't have a 1700.. though I believe jethro does..

Soundguy

Good memory Soundguy,

I have only lost prime once when I ran out of fuel. This thing sips so little fuel that it is easy to forget fueling it up. Any how, what I have done was simply to fill the tank with diesel. Fuel level is higher in the tank than pump inlet and gravity does the job for you. In order to expedite it I opened up a screw on the inlet side of pump that helps bleed the air out of inlet line. You can actually see fuel filling the fuel sediment bowl up as you bleed. I allowed enough air to bleed till fuel started coming out of the vent connection. At that point you may have some air in the injector line being in higher elevation. Manual recommends loosening the injector line to bleed the air up to the injector. I did not do that since I wanted to avoid screwing up the sensitive compression fitting. It took a few turns of the engine to expel the air out of the injector lines and she started right up, a bit rough for a few second only. By the way turning the engine will run the pump so as long as you have juice in the battery you can expel air our of injector lines.

JC

PS.Look at the air vent screw on the diagram below.

/ 1700 injector pump bleeding
Thanks guys,

I won't be able to make it up to 'the farm' :p 'till saturday to give it another try.

:D