Mowing Gear box leaking on mower deck

/ Gear box leaking on mower deck #1  

Compact1

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 New Holland TC33DA with SS, R4 loaded tires, 2 rear remotes, arms rests, & rear light
I removed my 72" rear discharge MMM from my tractor the other day and there was oil all over the top of the deck. Bottom of tractor was dry but the seal at the bottom of the MMM gear box seems to be leaking. Is this a common problem or did I just get lucky?:) What normally causes a relatively new gear box to leak?

I have only had the MMM a couple of months therefore I'm sure it's under warranty. I'll have to call my dealer and work something out.

/ Gear box leaking on mower deck #2  
Do you have a vent for it?

/ Gear box leaking on mower deck
It came from the factory without a vent.

/ Gear box leaking on mower deck #4  
Years ago, I had an tph FMC brand finish mower, that would leak. Long story short, the mower was shipped with a plug, where the vent needed to be, to prevent oil leakage during the shipping to dealer. Upon arrival @ the dealer, the plug should have been replaced with the vent, which was in the bag along with the instruction/service manual. I noticed it, as I put the unopened clear plastic bag in the file cabinet, but didn"t realize a vent was needed until the leaking began. DUH !

Compact1, just had another thought, was the oil in that gear box possibly replaced with a synthetic oil? That stuff is great, but may cause leaks when you replace the dino with synthetic.

/ Gear box leaking on mower deck
The dealer didn't give me an Owner's Manual with my mower deck because it was water damaged - he said he would get a new manual. Since I didn't receive the bag which would have contained the vent...

I bet you're right and I need to replace the plug with the vent. I'll check the oil level then install one.

No, I didn't replace the factory oil with synthetic.

Thanks for the replies.

/ Gear box leaking on mower deck #6  
Ditto what the others said.. Generally the vet plugs are a plug that is drilled thru, and then has a sheetmetal 'hat' on it to keep debri out.

If you are lucky.. the seal is still ok, and just let the oil push past.. but I'd check to see if the seal blew out / unseated.

In the mean time.. you can make that plug vented with a 1/8 drill bit.. and then just bailing wire a piece of gauze over it till you get your real plug/ventcap..

Also.. don't overfill the gearbox.. check for a fill level plug..only fill lube to that point ..

Soundguy