Tractor
    2006 New Holland TC33DA with SS, R4 loaded tires, 2 rear remotes, arms rests, & rear light

Default Gear box leaking on mower deck

I removed my 72" rear discharge MMM from my tractor the other day and there was oil all over the top of the deck. Bottom of tractor was dry but the seal at the bottom of the MMM gear box seems to be leaking. Is this a common problem or did I just get lucky? What normally causes a relatively new gear box to leak?

I have only had the MMM a couple of months therefore I'm sure it's under warranty. I'll have to call my dealer and work something out.
    Jeff

2006 New Holland TC33DA SS
    2008 Irish Terrier
    2013 GBGV

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Default Re: Gear box leaking on mower deck

Do you have a vent for it?
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Tractor
    2006 New Holland TC33DA with SS, R4 loaded tires, 2 rear remotes, arms rests, & rear light

It came from the factory without a vent.
    Jeff

2008 Irish Terrier
    2013 GBGV

Silver Member
    Tractor
    L4740, GR2120

Years ago, I had an tph FMC brand finish mower, that would leak. Long story short, the mower was shipped with a plug, where the vent needed to be, to prevent oil leakage during the shipping to dealer. Upon arrival @ the dealer, the plug should have been replaced with the vent, which was in the bag along with the instruction/service manual. I noticed it, as I put the unopened clear plastic bag in the file cabinet, but didn"t realize a vent was needed until the leaking began. DUH !

Compact1, just had another thought, was the oil in that gear box possibly replaced with a synthetic oil? That stuff is great, but may cause leaks when you replace the dino with synthetic.
    "Life is tough, but it's a lot harder if you're stupid!".......John Wayne

Tractor

The dealer didn't give me an Owner's Manual with my mower deck because it was water damaged - he said he would get a new manual. Since I didn't receive the bag which would have contained the vent...

I bet you're right and I need to replace the plug with the vent. I'll check the oil level then install one.

No, I didn't replace the factory oil with synthetic.

Thanks for the replies.
    Jeff

2008 Irish Terrier
    2013 GBGV

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Ditto what the others said.. Generally the vet plugs are a plug that is drilled thru, and then has a sheetmetal 'hat' on it to keep debri out.

If you are lucky.. the seal is still ok, and just let the oil push past.. but I'd check to see if the seal blew out / unseated.

In the mean time.. you can make that plug vented with a 1/8 drill bit.. and then just bailing wire a piece of gauze over it till you get your real plug/ventcap..

Also.. don't overfill the gearbox.. check for a fill level plug..only fill lube to that point ..

Soundguy