Ford 1700, any help?

/ Ford 1700, any help? #71  
I bought a 1700 about four years ago that had been used pretty hard. Took forever to get it started, then discovered that the glow plug function of the starter swith didn't work. After substituting a separate switch for the glow plugs, it has been a good machine.

/ Ford 1700, any help? #72  
I'll just butt in here. Hope you don't mind but I've been having a bunch of problems with my 1700 and noticed some talk about a Hitachi Alternator. I've had my tractor for several years and have always had trouble with starting and dead batteries. I've replaced the regulator with a factory spec but still have problems. Not a mechanic and not speaking "Mechanic-eese" do I need a special alternator? I've replaced the alternator with one that was in it when I bought it and it never dawned on me that it might be the wrong mix. Car part suppliers typically don't have Ford Tractor part listings and I'm wondering now if I've just simply replced the wrong alternator. The alternator light has always been on.

/ Ford 1700, any help? #73  
I've replaced my alternator with what was in there when I bought it and it has never worked. Do I need a Japaneese (Hitachi)alternator or is a Ford alternator sufficient?

/ Ford 1700, any help? #74  
I've replaced my alternator with what was in there when I bought it and it has never worked. Do I need a Japaneese (Hitachi)alternator or is a Ford alternator sufficient?

I yet to work with my alternator as I never had any issue with it. It is the original OEM Hitachi. The Fleabay like below show a new replacement (non OEM) with a pretty decent price @ $70 with free shipping. The elec connection in the back is similar to my Hitachi, so you connector should fit just fine.
Can take the alt off and have auto store to bench test it. Did you rewire the external voltage Regulator like you should?

JC,

DSC09622.jpg

Fleabay source.

ahi0074_back_zps94e3e5d9.jpg

/ Ford 1700, any help? #75  
Re-wire the voltage regulator? Augh! Bet that's my problem. Where can I find a male plug to finish the job? I also have a bunch of loose wires, from lights (etc.) that are no longer attached and working, that I'm going to start snipping. My battery is not recharging at all and is a headache to maintain power. My alternator looks the same and I have had it bench tested. It passes with flying colors so again it must be in my worn out wiring. All of my connectors have been chewed on by mice and here again I need to replace them all. Thanks for the tip.

A lesson hard learned. I've been fiddling with my tractor for weeks with a no start slow drag from the starter. Paid for a service call and in time finally came to the conclusion that I was simply low on oil. I had bought the oil and filter and was waiting to warm the engine before I changed it. I guess it's a safety feature I wasn't aware of. Also learned how to preheated my glow plugs. I had always turned my ignition key to the right and waited, thinking that my glow coil was simply in-operative. What a difference on a once hard to start tractor. Wisdom comes with age - I've just always been a slow starter.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700, any help? #76  
I see two wires going to the alternator connection on the right. The larger wire goes to the solenoid. What is that smaller wire for? I don't have one!

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700, any help? #77  
Any battery problems with your 1700's. It might just be my alternator problems but my battery just never seems to have any umph. I bought a new battery at a tractor supply, smaller than the battery tray, and have always wondered if it was too small. Do I need a larger battery or should I accept the one they have listed?

/ Ford 1700, any help? #78  
Re-wire the voltage regulator? Augh! Bet that's my problem. Where can I find a male plug to finish the job? I also have a bunch of loose wires, from lights (etc.) that are no longer attached and working, that I'm going to start snipping. My battery is not recharging at all and is a headache to maintain power. My alternator looks the same and I have had it bench tested. It passes with flying colors so again it must be in my worn out wiring. All of my connectors have been chewed on by mice and here again I need to replace them all. Thanks for the tip.

A lesson hard learned. I've been fiddling with my tractor for weeks with a no start slow drag from the starter. Paid for a service call and in time finally came to the conclusion that I was simply low on oil. I had bought the oil and filter and was waiting to warm the engine before I changed it. I guess it's a safety feature I wasn't aware of. Also learned how to preheated my glow plugs. I had always turned my ignition key to the right and waited, thinking that my glow coil was simply in-operative. What a difference on a once hard to start tractor. Wisdom comes with age - I've just always been a slow starter.

It is easier said that done but might need to consider rewiring your rig, or at least alternator and safety. You can use the same harness routing and add wiring parallel to the existing harness. disconnect old wire and land new wire in place of old. This is not easy task and takes a lot of patience, you need to take pics, notes so you can back tack your steps. need to do continuity to see which wire is which, need to follow wire color coding if you can see them. look at attachment below to see if they can help you.

JC,

ps. I bought replacement Neverstart battery from Wally world and never had issue as long as CCA is same or a bit higher than OEM. can't remember what I bought but can check later on.