Ford 1700, any help?

/ Ford 1700, any help? #1  

JB4310

Tractor
J.D. 4310 E-hydro
A landscape contractor I know has a Ford 1700 with a woods 72" york rake with wheels for sale, I just want the rake but he wont sell seperatly and since he only wants $2,000. I figured I can't go wrong and should be able to get the rake for free if I could sell the tractor for 2K.
The tractor is in good condition, it's 2 WD, has a 2 cyl Jap diesel, not sure the make or HP, it has big turf tires, just needs a battery.
What should I know about this machine? not familiar with fords, is it a sellable tractor? should be worth $2,000. shouldn't it?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

/ Ford 1700, any help? #2  
How many hours does it have?

/ Ford 1700, any help?
Bulldogger said:
How many hours does it have?

Didn't even look since I'm not really interested in the tractor, I'll check tomorrow, if I had to guess I'd say around 1000 hours or less, what do you know about this model? was it popular, is it maintainable, parts available? what years was it produced? Thanks,

/ Ford 1700, any help? #5  
It's worth the 2000 if it's not beat.

soundguy

/ Ford 1700, any help? #6  
JB4310 said:
A landscape contractor I know has a Ford 1700 with a woods 72" york rake with wheels for sale, I just want the rake but he wont sell seperatly and since he only wants $2,000. I figured I can't go wrong and should be able to get the rake for free if I could sell the tractor for 2K.
The tractor is in good condition, it's 2 WD, has a 2 cyl Jap diesel, not sure the make or HP, it has big turf tires, just needs a battery.
What should I know about this machine? not familiar with fords, is it a sellable tractor? should be worth $2,000. shouldn't it?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

If it only needs battery, it is good shape and accurate hour meter, then It is a great bargain. Look it it up in the tractorhouse website below... you can not find a beat up 1700 for that price.

FORD 1700 For Sale at TractorHouse.com

My local Ford was trying to sell a 4wd with lots of hours and locked up engine for 3k. LOL. I bought mine for $3100 with 900 hrs and in a good shape. It is a great little tractor and parts so far were readily available and not too expensive. I ended up going thru the whole hydraulic system including, New hyd fluid, new lift piston seal, new hyd pump overhaul kit, bunch or o-rings and gaskets, engine oil and filter and few other misc. parts for about $200 total.. How could you beat that?

You have got yourself a deal if the tractor does not have a major issue hidden somewhere. post a picture of it if you can. I think the price is a bit suspect.. make sure the tractor is not lame.

JC

/ Ford 1700, any help?
bulldogger, thanks for that link, it answers alot of my questions, never heard of shibaura engines before,

JC, it looks just like your avatar pic, just no where near as clean, gonna check the hours today, maybe it got a bunch more than my guess, it has been sitting outside since the guy got a new machine to pull his harley rake a couple of years ago, with those huge rear tires and some chains and all the ranges it looks like it would be a log pulling bear.
thanks for the help I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy it maybe today if I can start it, I'll take the rake and clean it up and try and sell it, not looking to make money on it but if I get the rake for free it will be worth a little of my time cleaning it up.

/ Ford 1700, any help? #8  
JB4310 said:
bulldogger, thanks for that link, it answers alot of my questions, never heard of shibaura engines before,

JC, it looks just like your avatar pic, just no where near as clean, gonna check the hours today, maybe it got a bunch more than my guess, it has been sitting outside since the guy got a new machine to pull his harley rake a couple of years ago, with those huge rear tires and some chains and all the ranges it looks like it would be a log pulling bear.
thanks for the help I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy it maybe today if I can start it, I'll take the rake and clean it up and try and sell it, not looking to make money on it but if I get the rake for free it will be worth a little of my time cleaning it up.

if it runs half way decent, then you'll have no problem selling it for what you paid and then some. I saw one on craig list last month in good shape, one owner, 4wd and about 5.5 K in North Kansas city. If you have issues after you bought it then let me know. I made myself familiar with all major components of 1700.

JC,

/ Ford 1700, any help?
JC-jetro said:
if it runs half way decent, then you'll have no problem selling it for what you paid and then some. I saw one on craig list last month in good shape, one owner, 4wd and about 5.5 K in North Kansas city. If you have issues after you bought it then let me know. I made myself familiar with all major components of 1700.

JC,

Any tricks to starting it after two years of sitting, gonna try jumping it to make sure it still runs, I did notice alot of play in the steering wheel/box, is there any adjustment there. John,

/ Ford 1700, any help? #10  
JB4310 said:
Any tricks to starting it after two years of sitting, gonna try jumping it to make sure it still runs, I did notice alot of play in the steering wheel/box, is there any adjustment there. John,

I have not used any tricks at all to get it started. what is it doing or "not doing"?

1) does that battery have enough juice?
2) does it turn over? starter okay?
3) Body is negative and the wire to glow plug is positive. do you et any juice when you try to preheat the glow plug?
4) do you have enough fuel? do you have fuel flow?
5) how is the diesel fuel? if old then may be you want to use some fresh fuel.
6) not related tot he starting .. but when you turn the key to glow plug side then do you see alternator and oil pressure to illuminate? that is just to check your circuit on low oil pressure and high temp is wired all right.
7) I hope engine is not locked up. can you pull tractor say in 4th or 3rd gear by towing? I guess you'll know that when you try to pull start it.
8) how did you bring it home? have you bought it yet? how did you load it up on a trailer?

I'd first identify my safeties are working, have fresh fuel, making sure I have fuel flow and then I start getting it to run. make sure have jumper cable at the ready in case battery gets tired.

Let's us know. I'm sure you'll get to run unless had major hidden issues.

JC

P.S .I don't have much flop in the steering wheel but some is not unexpected, range of motion can be changed some on steering tie rod adjustment. Have not gotten in to it deeper but have a chessy
repair manual and can look it up later.