Changed hydraulic fluid - now don't have any hydraulics...

/ Changed hydraulic fluid - now don't have any hydraulics...
Thanks for the responses. I let it sit overnight, and still no hydraulics. Everything else works - power steering and transmission function (which surprises me because the Power Shuttle system always seems to die if anything goes wrong with the hydraulics).

Unfortunately it looks like the hydraulic pump is higher than the reservoir, so there has got to be a magic procedure to get the pump primed after a fluid change. Later today I'm going to try and get away from work at lunchtime to see if I can figure anything out.

/ Changed hydraulic fluid - now don't have any hydraulics... #12  
mahlers said:
Thanks for the responses. I let it sit overnight, and still no hydraulics. Everything else works - power steering and transmission function (which surprises me because the Power Shuttle system always seems to die if anything goes wrong with the hydraulics).

Unfortunately it looks like the hydraulic pump is higher than the reservoir, so there has got to be a magic procedure to get the pump primed after a fluid change. Later today I'm going to try and get away from work at lunchtime to see if I can figure anything out.

Usually when tanks are underslung, let say in case of underground fuel storage one need to have a back flow/ foot valve at the intake point in the tank. That assures for most part not loosing prime. this foot valve can be single or double poppet and is spring loaded. Do you know what holds prime with your configuaration? if your suction connection to the pump is higher than the tank, then are you able to open u the banjo fitting and prime the line wit a squeeze bottle full of oil? I'm reaching here now...

JC.

/ Changed hydraulic fluid - now don't have any hydraulics... #13  
Since your operators manual doesnt talk about priming but does describe changing the fluid (right...it does give some procedure for that??) Id assume that something is amiss. In these cases I stop by my dealer and ask. I know its not the guy thing to do but it gets to the bottom line quicker (and sometimes cheaper). :)

Update - I took a careful look at the hydraulic pump and saw what looked to be a 10mm bleeder bolt on the top side of the high-pressure manifold. So, I cracked it open, started the tractor up, tightened up the bolt after fluid ran out, and viola, everything works again.

I'm pretty surprised that the owners manual doesn't say anything about that procedure, but at least it was really easy to figure out once I put my mind (or what's left of it) to it.

I ran it through it's paces and I'm not sure if this is just a subjective impression from someone who's just really happy his tractor works again, but the new fluid really seems to make a big difference in how the hydraulics work. Normally when I'm just getting to work on something, the backhoe seems to be a little slow until the fluid really warms up, but now it seems to operate great right from the start. Same thing with the loader. I'll comment again later regarding that Super UDT fluid that I put in - so far so good, though.

/ Changed hydraulic fluid - now don't have any hydraulics... #15  
Glad you got things working again. One question about the UDT, is it a substitute for NH134? Ive jsut never heard about this and it made me curious.

Yeah, the UDT is a universal tractor fluid that meets and exceeds all the New Holland specs. The Super UDT is a synthetic derivative of that - and it has really good properties with respect to wear reduction and water suspension. Since I do a lot of backhoe work in very wet conditions, I wanted something that gave me a little extra margin of safety when water gets past the seals. The stuff definitely isn't cheap, but as far as I'm concerned it's cheap insurance.

/ Changed hydraulic fluid - now don't have any hydraulics... #17  
Thanx! From your description above it sounds like the SUDT is less viscous than the NH134.

ETA: When Im at my dealer next Ill have to ask about the bleeding process. Seems odd its not mentioned in the manual.

/ Changed hydraulic fluid - now don't have any hydraulics... #18  
Glad it worked for you. I changed the tranny fluid on my TN 70A last year (and the filter) and everything worked fine.

Good luck!
Bob

/ Changed hydraulic fluid - now don't have any hydraulics... #19  
mahlers said:
Yeah, the UDT is a universal tractor fluid that meets and exceeds all the New Holland specs. The Super UDT is a synthetic derivative of that - and it has really good properties with respect to wear reduction and water suspension. Since I do a lot of backhoe work in very wet conditions, I wanted something that gave me a little extra margin of safety when water gets past the seals. The stuff definitely isn't cheap, but as far as I'm concerned it's cheap insurance.

Super UDT is NOT synthetic.