Power Steering Cylinder

/ Power Steering Cylinder #1  

tractorpilot

Tractor
New Holland TC33
Reading the archieves, it would seem I am not the first to bend the rod on my power steering cylinder. I am trying to take it off to bring it to a rebuild shop as NH wants $487 for a new one.

Problem is this - the cylinder is hanging by the hydraulic lines and I cannot loosen them from the cylinder with a normal size wrench. Before I get out the cheater, I wanted to ask if anyone knows if this might be a reverse thread?

/ Power Steering Cylinder #2  
I am sure you have normal right-hand-thread hyd connections.
Most modern CUTs use a 37-degree JIC compression fittings, but
I have no personal experience with NH (Shibaura) machines.
Water gets into the threads and causes corrosion....they do not
need to be torqued down tremendously tight.

A slightly bent rod can be repaired, or a hyd shop can make a new
rod for you for maybe $100.

/ Power Steering Cylinder #4  
I think it's safe to say that left-hand threads are used only on things that
  • normally rotate in a counter-clockwise direction (e.g. lug nuts on the left side of some cars)
  • some gas fittings (to prevent incorrect connections)
  • one end of a turnbuckle
So as dfkrug stated, your hydraulic fittings are normal right-hand thread.

I once spent a lot of effort trying to loosen a bolt on the back end of the engine in a '57 Chevy. I gave up, ate lunch, and then realized that the bolt was threaded toward me. Duh. I was much younger then and had energy to spend.

tractorpilot apparently has already had that experience and that's why he/she's posting this question.

/ Power Steering Cylinder #5  
TedLaRue said:
I once spent a lot of effort trying to loosen a bolt on the back end of the engine in a '57 Chevy. I gave up, ate lunch, and then realized that the bolt was threaded toward me. Duh. I was much younger then and had energy to spend..

Good list, Ted.

I ran into a left hand thread on a shaft inside a transmission once, but
it WAS Italian. Ruined it trying to get it off.

My JDs used compression fittings. Can't recall if they were metric
or -4 JIC on the FEL. My older Kubotas used a metric comp fitting.
My Kioti uses the only -5 size JICs I have ever run into.

/ Power Steering Cylinder
Thank you for the feedback - I bounced this question off of our maint supv where I work - he used to work for a JD dealer. After giving me a load of crap about buying blue, he told me to forget about the joint at the cylinder and go after the swivel joint up above. Two wrenches and a cut knuckle later, I had the cylinder on the bench where I could get some leverage on the fitting - new hoses will be the result. Now if they can straighten the rod. Thanks again.

/ Power Steering Cylinder #7  
After you straighten the rod, weld a piece of angle iron to it to strenghten it. I bent my 1710 and 2120 tierods a few times but one I did that I've run for years without so much as a hickop. Don't worry about adjusting the length anymore. Once it is set you can just fix it to that length.

Andy

/ Power Steering Cylinder #8  
AndyMA said:
After you straighten the rod, weld a piece of angle iron to it to strenghten it. I bent my 1710 and 2120 tierods a few times but one I did that I've run for years without so much as a hickop. Don't worry about adjusting the length anymore. Once it is set you can just fix it to that length.

Andy

He is referring to his power steering hydraulic cylinder rod. Not all tractors
use a cylinder(s) to operate the power steering.

/ Power Steering Cylinder #9  
Hey pilot, I don't know what size tractor you have but on my 4600 I had the rod straightened count em, 3 times. I found I could buy a new cylinder from Mid South Tractor Parts in Decator Alabama for $100.00 plus shipping. The phone number is (256)353-5661. Lee Taylor is the owner I think. He is the one who helped me.