Help with Ford 2000

/ Help with Ford 2000 #1  

Huntinut

I bought a Ford 2000, 3 cyl, gas burner about a year and a half ago. The serial number starts with 69. I'm not sure what year model. Its got the select-o-speed transmission. It has always run pretty ragged. When I drained the gas tank, it looked like muddy river water, so I ended up pulling the tank, sealing it with Kreme and installing an inline filter. I thought that would fix the problem. However, even though it seems to run smoother, I can seem to get it to run for more than about 30-45 minutes if bushhogging. It will just die. If I pull the choke out and leave it out, sometimes I can get it to fire back up, but the slightest load on the engine,(letting the clutch out) and it dies again.

Another problem is that will moving hay this weekend, a small leak appeared. It appears to be leaking fluid from the rear end or the hydraulic lift. What type of fluid should I use to put in the fill hole for the rear end? Also what type of fluid should go in the fill hole beside the gear shifters? How can I tell when enough fluid has been added so that I don't over fill the tractor?

Thanks for your help. any information on this tractor would be greatly appreciated.

/ Help with Ford 2000 #2  
I had the same thing with my Oliver 770. Ended up taking the shutoff valve off under the gas tank and blowing it out with the air hose. I soaked it in solvent for about 1/2 hour first. I got some gunk out, and after that it ran great even under big load just kept pulling. Not sure if that's your problem, but it does sound like a fuel issue.
Good luck.

Bondoゥ

/ Help with Ford 2000 #3  
Needs choke to run:

either a fuel obstruction or a vacume leak. My guess is a fuel obstruction.

Where's this leak at?

You really should invest in a set of manuals for your later 2000. Especially since it has an SOS. I don't even own a 2000 and I have some manuals for it.

fuel, 13g
cooling sys 13.2q
crankcase 8q

here's where it gets dicey. my multi manual doesn't show a 2000 with the 10spd/ind pto. however.. the 3000 sos and 2110 sos each hold 11 qts

The live and trans pto models from 2000-2110-3000 each hold 25.2qts inthe rear end/hyds. but again.. I don't have the listing for the 2000/ind pto.. so can't verify that.

An I&T FO-31 would be a service manual that covers the 2-3-4 thousand series 3cyl tractors. i don't have any of theose.. and thus don't have the service manual for them.. though i do have parts manuals and a condensed owners manual..e tc.

Post the 3 numbers stmped on your bellhousing, aft of your starter.... a sn, model ID number, and production code.

As for running ragged? my guess is carb/gunk trouble. The inline filter, if not a gravity feed type.. isn't helping much. Those 3 cyl units were some of fords better engines.. the gassers were built on de-rated diesel blocks.. tough as nails..

Soundguy

Huntinut said:
I bought a Ford 2000, 3 cyl, gas burner about a year and a half ago. The serial number starts with 69. I'm not sure what year model. Its got the select-o-speed transmission. It has always run pretty ragged. When I drained the gas tank, it looked like muddy river water, so I ended up pulling the tank, sealing it with Kreme and installing an inline filter. I thought that would fix the problem. However, even though it seems to run smoother, I can seem to get it to run for more than about 30-45 minutes if bushhogging. It will just die. If I pull the choke out and leave it out, sometimes I can get it to fire back up, but the slightest load on the engine,(letting the clutch out) and it dies again.

Another problem is that will moving hay this weekend, a small leak appeared. It appears to be leaking fluid from the rear end or the hydraulic lift. What type of fluid should I use to put in the fill hole for the rear end? Also what type of fluid should go in the fill hole beside the gear shifters? How can I tell when enough fluid has been added so that I don't over fill the tractor?

Thanks for your help. any information on this tractor would be greatly appreciated.

/ Help with Ford 2000 #4  
You already have a screen at the fuel tap/tank shutoff, one in the fuel pump and one at the carb inlet. Have you cleaned all these? I would think about the last thing you need is an added inline filter.

/ Help with Ford 2000
I'll post those numbers on Monday morning.

I may be wrong about the SOS tranny. On the maintence sticker underneath the hood, it mentions when to service the SOS. It's got 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds.

I cleaned the screen in the tank, havn't taken the fuel pump off, and there doesn't appear to be a screen efore the card. The reason I installed the inline filter is that the carb kept ending up with junk in it.

What kind of fluid should I put in the rear end/hydraul? The gear box?

Where is a good place to find manuals?

The leak is underneath the read end. Thanks.

/ Help with Ford 2000 #6  
The SOS is a 10spd forward and 2 rev. And has a pull knob for the pto mounted in the dash, and the shifter is mounted just under the steering wheel on the dash column/cowling.

Post a pic of what you have.

Soundguy

/ Help with Ford 2000 #7  
-*If fuel was as dirty as you mentioned; it is time to disassemble complete fuel system. All lines, fuel pump and carb need cdisassembled and cleaned. While you are at it; replace spark plugs, points and condenser. Check distributor cap for cracks orr replace it with a new rotor. It will run like a champ then.

/ Help with Ford 2000 #9  
Yea, where to get hard copies of manuals?

depends on what manual you want. ford shop manuals? aftermarket service manuals? etc.. owners manuals reprints?

/ Help with Ford 2000 #10  
I have already purchased the shop manual but I don't have enough experience with tractors yet, like a foreign language to me. Need something more straight forward, details to preform the basic stuff, an introduction for new operators with topics of things i'm likely going to need like where exactly to add fluid, maintenance schedule and pictures with arrows pointing to where I need to do something. atm an exploded parts diagram is above my head.
Anyways yea to answer your question was interested in locating operators manual for Ford tractor around 1963