tc45d pto problem

/ tc45d pto problem #1  

h10doc

Bronze Member
Tractor
Tc45D
when I shut off my pto it keeps turn at a slower speed. Any thoughts on this to look at. Thanks

/ tc45d pto problem #2  
Find a safe way to see if it is turning under fluid coupling.. or if it is indeed still powered.

A safe way to do this might be to use a stick to apply pressure to the pto shaft.. in such a way that it won't get sucked out of your hand and whack you if it should happen to catch on the pto.

Also.. with the tractor off, see if you can spin the pto shaft.

That unit should, if I am remembering correctly have a pto break.. but it may be malfunctioning..

Soundguy

/ tc45d pto problem
Thanks soundguy it will stop with pressure from a stick are tall grass. Were can i check to see if it does have a pto brake? does anybody know?

/ tc45d pto problem #4  
A parts manual would be my guess.

soundguy

/ tc45d pto problem #5  
The only tc45d drawing i can find shows a ger type pto with manual shifting forks, and no pto brake. If that is so.. I'd guess it was just fluid coupling from oil on the gears. i'm still looking for an HST drawing.. etc..

Soundguy

/ tc45d pto problem #6  
h10doc said:
Thanks soundguy it will stop with pressure from a stick are tall grass. Were can i check to see if it does have a pto brake? does anybody know?

Your PTO is hydraulically actuated through a clutch/brake. The clutch is not completely releasing, maybe due to an adjustment of the PTO valve. That valve may be letting just enough fluid through to keep the PTO engaged when there is nothing attached. If you can stop the shaft from turning, it must be very little fluid. Even so, the PTO is supposed to quit turning when the lever is disengaged. That's the "brake" portion of the clutch/brake. If yours is still going, there is a chance that your brake has been worn and is no longer working.

Do you always lower the engine rpm before disengaging the PTO? If you have a rotary cutter attached, it can cause damage to the brake over time if you disengage the PTO at high rpm.

When you shut the tractor off, does the PTO lock so that you cannot turn the PTO?

I'm on the road right now, but will be home by the weekend and I'll check my Repair Manual. Then I can tell you for sure, but I think you have a brake failure of the clutch/brake assembly. The brake portion is not working or your control lever is not fully disengaging the PTO.:(

/ tc45d pto problem #7  
Jin.. where did you find the diagram? On the CNH site i can only find one tc45d diagram and it shows no brake and a manual engaged pto fork ( mid and rear pto; appears to handle 35 and 45 ) with no clutch pack. Have they left out, perhaps an entire drawing.. or was that a bad one size fits all sort of thing???

If it is a clutch pack setup... it could also be warped discs making it spin / keeping it partially engaged.. etc.... of course.. that doesn't explain the no pto brake issue..

Soundguy

/ tc45d pto problem #8  
Soundguy said:
Jin.. where did you find the diagram? On the CNH site i can only find one tc45d diagram and it shows no brake and a manual engaged pto fork ( mid and rear pto; appears to handle 35 and 45 ) with no clutch pack. Have they left out, perhaps an entire drawing.. or was that a bad one size fits all sort of thing???

If it is a clutch pack setup... it could also be warped discs making it spin / keeping it partially engaged.. etc.... of course.. that doesn't explain the no pto brake issue..

Soundguy

Chris, I'm not sure what you are looking at on the CNH site, but all Class III Boomers have a hydraulic PTO clutch/brake. The TC40 and TC35 can have a mid PTO, but that option was not even available on the TC45D until the TC45DA came out. It sounds like you are looking at a diagram for the wrong tractor or looking at the mid-PTO for the TC40/35 tractors.

I have the printed repair manual for my tractor. I did not rely on anything online for my info. Also, the hydraulic clutch/brake has lots of posts regarding its operation on TBN. Some tractors even had a recall to have that clutch replaced due to defective parts. I'm guessing h10doc's problem is not one of those tractors, but it could be. I suspect he will need to have a discussion with his dealer about this at some point.

...more info this weekend when I get home from my travels.:)

/ tc45d pto problem #9  
Well that's just another reason why I like to have paper manuals ( or on cd ) in front of me vs relying on googling something on the web. The schematic i found is identified as a north american / tc45d pto section and is dated 11/99.

Now i see part of the problem. it must be a drawing covering many models. When i actually zoom in on the shifter rails, I see they are identified for a tc 35 and 40.. but not the 45... Why they are even listed under the 45d drawing I'll never know. Further digging showed me I was looking at the clutch section for the wrong tractor to as it listed :Effective with Driveline 3M37366 TC35 & TC35D, 3M37439 TC40 & TC40D.

After even more digging, i finally found the :3M37367 TC45 & TC45D
and the drawing of the clutch pack.. go figure.

Again... now i know why i spend money on manuals.. vs trying to look stuff up online.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Soundguy

/ tc45d pto problem
Thanks jinman i'll take a look at the clutch/brake assembly. This will help me get going again