using rear remote hydraulics for a loader

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
I just got the rear remote hydraulics installed on my TC29D. While I was there, I inquired about the cost of a loader and the cost of the controls for a loader. The salesman told me that if I wanted to save some money I could use the rear remote hydraulics to run a loader. It would require running the loader hydraulic hoses all the way to the back of the tractor and the controls would not be as nimble, but it would work. Has anyone every tried this?

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader #2  
I haven't used one that way, Danny, but I have a real farmer neighbor with big John Deere tractors and that's the way he uses his FEL. Nothing wrong with it, I guess; I just don't like those long hoses going all the way back there, and having to use two pair of remotes, and individual levers instead of a joystick.

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader #3  
<font color=blue>Kludge \'klüj\ noun: a system made up of poorly matched components</font color=blue>

Danny, in my opinion, that would be a horrible kludge and I would not even attempt it. After all, if you spend all that money on a nice 7308 loader, why would you want to mess around with anything but the proper control valves and joystick? It just doesn't seem like a good return on investment to me. I surely wouldn't do it.

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader
Those are good points. But, one of the reasons I'm considering it is that the joystick gets in the way and makes it impractical (at least so I'm told) to get on and off the tractor from the right hand side. This would eliminate that problem. It would definitely hurt resale, but hopefully I'll be able to keep this tractor and won't have to ever sell it.

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader #5  
<font color=blue>makes it impractical (at least so I'm told) to get on and off the tractor from the right hand side.</font color=blue>

Not being a smarty pants but....why not just get on and off the tractor from the left hand side? That's what I do.

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader
I could, but I just hate to defeat a feature that already exists. One of the reasons (among many) I bought this tractor was because of its ease of getting on and off from either side. I grew up running a Farmall A and a John Deere B, both a pain to get on and off if there’s an implement attached. Now, if I'm mowing along and see a branch on either side, I stop, jump off that side real quick, move the branch, and hop back on that side. This can be a common occurrence in the back part of my property. If I have to go around the other side it's less convenient. It’s only a few more steps and a few more seconds, but I guess I’m spoiled now. I wouldn’t care if the controls were only in the way when the loader was attached. It just bugs me that they didn’t design it so the controls are not in the way when the loader is not attached which would be the case for me over 50% of the time. The main thing I use my tractor for is mowing and tilling and I don’t want the extra weight of the loader when I’m driving on the lawn or in the garden. I’ve seen pictures of some loaders that have the controls attached to the loader itself, so when the loader comes off, so do the controls. That makes sense to me.

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader #7  
Now I understand, makes sense to me now. BTW, tonight I cut my lawn for the first time this season and took a closer look at the FEL controls. If the steering wheel is the whole way up, I can exit to the right, but it's still not as easy as to the left. If you have a coat or jacket on, I would be concerned that something could catch on the FEL control. It's a trade off, the FEL controls do fall readily to hand, i.e., you don't have to reach for them, but they do get in the way of exiting to the right. The other thing that 'gets in the way' on the right, which isn't on the left side, is the HST pedal.

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader #8  
Yes, it would work running off the rear remotes. I have used larger farm tractors using just rear remotes. Just not as handy, especially if want to move different cylinders at the same time. On small tractors usually only one rear remote will work at a time. Most newer large farm tractor have much higher hydraulic pump volumes and can run multiple remotes all at the same time. Our large Case-IH tractor (200hp) has a 50-60 gpm hydraulic pump and has 5 rear remotes. A joystick is easier to operate for loader work than 2 remote rear hydraulics.
However, I would guess the joystick for a loader is probably several hundred dollars. The decision is yours.

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader #9  
The TN series runs off the rear remotes and still uses a joystick. You can talk to your dealer about rigging your machine the same way. I do not know how the rear remotes are on the TC's and the joystick is still mounted on the right side fender where it can be bumped but I have never had a problem with it and even when I do bump it, it only moves the loader a little bit and not enought to hurt anything. I think it is a moot point but you have to live with the machine and having experience using 2 levers for a loader I would not want to go back after the joystick. The Ford 4000 had the levers under the seat and the Ford 4500 had them mounted on the loader upright. Both cases were a pain as you are reaching down and you find yourself looking away from where you should be watching. If you do plan on using the loader any amount get the joystick and try to live with a occasional bump, and unless you have the bucket full of fine china when you bump the lever nothing will break or get hurt. Have fun.

/ using rear remote hydraulics for a loader #10  
Danny, perhaps this picture will help. The steering wheel is in the full up position.

Attachments

• 13-119157-legroom.jpg
    13-119157-legroom.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 221