Tires Weighted tires

/ Weighted tires #1  

MRAPP

I'm thinking of having my tires filled on my TC21 for added weight. Most people use a calcium solution, but some tell me they are using an antifreeze mixture. Which should I use? What should it cost to have done? Is there a way I can do this myself?

/ Weighted tires #2  
MRAPP,
If you have the owner's manual it should tell you how much water and antifreeze ( the calcium chloride stuff is not usually recommended, it is corrosive and is not environmentally friendly) to put in based on the size of the tires. You will need a valve stem adapter which can be purchased at some tractor dealers or at some auto parts stores. This is the basics. Check with your dealer or with a tire shop that deals with tractor and truck tires for advice. Jack the tire up slightly and connect the adapter. If you have a jug with a top that will screw on to the adapter then put the antifreeze in it and connect it to the adapter. If you don't have a jug then connect a garden hose to the adapter and pour the antifreeze in the other end of the hose. After all the antifreeze has been installed hood the hose to your water supply. Be sure to run a lot of water through the hose before your wife waters her flowers using that hose! Rotate the tire until the valve stem is at about 2oclock or 10oclock and fill with water until it is at athe level of the valve stem. This should be about a 75% fill. Your manual may recommend a differnent %, if so fill it to that %. A dealer may charge from $100 - $300 to do this. Also, check the archive for more info on this.

/ Weighted tires #3  
Tell us where you live. If you have mild winters, antifreeze (non/toxic) is pretty common and inexpensive. The firestone.com and goodyear.com farm tire books on the web have directions for adding calcium and gimplers and some auto supplies sell or you can make an adapter to go to a garden hose for the water. Please don't use the toxic antifreeze as any residue of 1/4 cup will painfully kill a dog or cat and it tastes sweet.

If it is cold in the winter, you probably will have to go with calcium in tubes in the tires. Call a farm tire place and they will do it for you. Be sure you know how much the tires will weigh if you are not going to drive the tractor to the tire store as they can get kinda heavy to handle.

Search this board and the archives for ballast and you can read a lot more about the subject.

/ Weighted tires #4  
I think there are mobile farm tire service companies in many areas. Your dealer probably knows if one operates in your area.

/ Weighted tires #5  
The calcium mixture adds the most pounds per gallon but the most caustic. Low toxic antifreeze is less money but still can hurt animals if leaking. Alchohol is cheaper and safer. With all choices, there is the cost of labor if you don't do it yourself.
I inherited a brass valve with an old MF 35. It is a simple task of adding the solution yourself. It is always better to use a tube if you go wet. With lower psi measurements, you don't want to worry about the tire bead leaking.
Recently, a new tractor hit the lot and the dealer's general policy is to add wet weight if a loader is to be installed. I'll have to ask what he used. I would prefer dry tires with added weight so one has the option of quick removal if wanted. Otherwise, I would prefer the alchohol or anti-freeze in that order.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Weighted tires #6  
Interesting...

The non toxic's are normally propylene glycol which is safe for use in camper water systems. Sierra makes an automotive version with rust inhibitors. It is still listed as non-toxic. What is the effect on animals? Ethylene glycol (toxic) is extremely poisionous (kills you by calcifying your kidneys) AND is very SWEET tasting so animals drink it and die. The alcohol that we are able to get without buying it from the liquor store contains wood alcohol and is extremely toxic and causes blindness. Use whatever you want to, but be sure to make an informed decision. We need our local vet to add some facts to this thread for us. Paul where are you?

/ Weighted tires #7  
I'm running Sierra in 2 vehicles now. I thought it was safe too!
<font color=red>Read the label!</font color=red> /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
Our horse vet still likes the blue of the New Hollands compared to the orange. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Weighted tires #8  
Dang, my horse never ate the paint off the tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif