Bush hog

/ Bush hog #21  
7/27

Hi, Alan40. I just sold a 1720 and 5 ft Ford 951 "special" cutter, which the buyer gets as soon as my new Bush Hog (Model 287, you don't want to hear the price, groan) arrives.

In my 12 years with the combo above I learned a bit:

First, I would NOT exceed that width. I could easily bog my 26.5 horses (3 less at PTO) down, esp on uphill runs in moderate grass. Is yours 4wd like mine was? If it's 2wd, there will be less effective power to the wheels and more stress pulling that size cutter. Try b4 you buy if possible.

2nd-Don't buy a cutter with squared rear sides, esp those made of thin metal. The 951 sitting outside is hunk of junk.

3rd-Get chain guards if you can. My 951 without chains threw many items long distances. The fact that it bounces as it goes along did not help.

Don't knock BH, a really quality product and well "supported", better than most computers in fact. Call the product manager there and he will talk to you or call you back (Scott Moore, 1-800-363-6096). Even the lesser models are built like tanks. If you are not getting 25% off list + frt (ask to see the list prices in the dealer book, even the freight is in there--BH ships using its own trucks), you are paying too much.

HTHelps,

Jim

/ Bush hog
Thanks for the phone number jgh. Wasn't knocking Bush Hog because they are built tough just the area rep for his price. He's about $400.00 above anyone else and his one price fits all attitude. Looked at a 951 and your right. It's not for me. My budget picture has just gotten a little better here since a company I worked for as a temp would like another 30 days of employment. Besides if I don't research Bush Hog totally my father-in-law will never talk to me again. He's John Deere green all the way and when I bought blue he was just a little upset. Take care, Al

/ Bush hog
Found a good deal on a 5 ft. Bush Hog Razorback down south about 4 hours from home one way. It was left over from a 4th of July sale. Brought it home and after a hour or two we were ready to go. Cut for about an hour the first night until I had to use lights then quit. The next day I found a few rocks that snuck into my field during the night. Luckily I found them before they found me. The Razorback works just fine with my 1720 and has done as advertised. Just want to thank everyone who responded to my post and if anyone wants a little advice from a new tractor owner it's this. Take your time and don't buy the first implement you see. Do your homework first and also don't worry about asking alot of questions if somebody really wants to sell you a product they will take the time to help you all they can.
Thanks,
Al