Bush hog

/ Bush hog #1  

alan40

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH1720, .
I recently purchase a NH 1720 with a front loader and now want to purchase a 5ft bush hog. The reason for a 5 foot is in the woodlot thats about the smallest size of space between trees, also I've been planting softwood trees about 6 feet apart also.I have about 6 acres of open pasture and the rest is woodlot that I'm clearing so I can get to the sugar maples. I've talked to Landpride, Woods, South East,Bush Hog and King cutter reps and they all give a different story,from a product is overbuilt to your tractor is to little. So I would appreciate any input on this subject. I'm going to be mowing hay/weeds and alot of brush up to about 1 inchs more or less. The landscape is rolling and have a couple good steep sections that are going to be tricky. Any input is appreciated. Have a great day!!! Alan

/ Bush hog #2  
Sounds like a light duty should do it for you. Bush makes one for about $550 (razorback is the model). I bought one for 11 acres, 27hp tractor and mainly pasture grass with soem small bushes. It's rated to 40hp (gearbox) and 1" saplings. Blades are 3/8' thick which is main difference between heavy/med duty models which have 1/2" blades, heavier gearbox and heavier gauge sheet metal. (Also almost double the price)

/ Bush hog #3  
Yeah, probably the light duty will work ok. I am extremely partial to the medium duty Bush Hog (or equiv) because I have seen blades go THROUGH the side of the rotary cutter, and they can be bought with chain guards. They are heavier though and you should consult your owners manual and abide by their size and weight recommendations as rotary cutter put a big leverage on a tractor.

Just wondering after those trees that are six feet apart grow a little if you can get a 5 five mower between them (much less around them) since a 5 ft mower is wider than 5 ft and trees don't like being dinged with the mower (cuts through bark).

/ Bush hog #4  
Is the NH 1720 a 17HP tractor? If not what size is it? If it is too small, even if a tractor will pull a rotary mower, and spin the blade, it might still be too small, especially when you start hitting those 1 inch saplings, or larger...you want a tractor that is heavy enough to prevent the mower from shaking the tractor too much when it gets resistance. Not saying yours it too small, cause I don't know how big it is, but its something to be aware of.

/ Bush hog
The NH 1720 is a 28 horse tractor. Having never used a bush hog before I never thought of what you told me. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say about weight restrictions. Thanks, Al

/ Bush hog #6  
Be careful cutting that size brush unless you back over it. It can do considerable damage to your tractor if it pokes in the wrong places. Your owners manual should have the rotary mower recommendations in it. Be sure to use the rotary rather than the finish mower recommendations, though.

/ Bush hog #7  
A 28hp tractor should have no problem with the light to medium duty 5' brush hogs (Bush Hog is a brand name). I use a 5' one on my B2710 (27hp). What is the width of the outside edges of the tread on your rear tires? I wouldn't want one that's not as wide (preferably just a little wider) than the tractor.

Bird

/ Bush hog #8  
ejb,

When that 1/2 inch x 4 inch blade comes around at 200 mph, whatever is in the way will be cut. Saplings, 2x4, steel pipe, etc. The problem usually is stopping a blade once it gets turning that fast. Most mowers used to have recommended HP on the mowers so that you would have an idea what you could wade into and sustain cutting, but they found they could sell more mowers if they would let the dealers tell you that the tractor was big enough. So much for engineering. Marketeers seem to be making the brochures lately and leaving out the specs that they are not real good at.

Using a tiller on rocky ground is a good example of needing some weight in the tractor or the tiller will literally tear up the tractor.

/ Bush hog #9  
alan40,

Your 1720, I would speculate, should be rated between the TC25 and TC29 but closer to the TC29. In the New Holland brochure that I have, the TC25,TC29, and TC33 are all rated for up to a NEW HOLLAND #951B 72" rotary cutter. You could check the NH website to see what duty that cutter is. Since it's rated for up to 6', I would think you wouldn't have a problem with a 5' medium duty or stronger. My neighbor has a 1720 and uses it to mow, till, and move snow, he has the ag tires and they don't seem to tear up anything when he mows lawn.

Good Luck!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Bush hog #10  
Great comment about stopping the inertia of the rotating blades. A few weeks ago, after carefully moving several hundred feet of 12 1/2 ga. high tensile wire (fence mat'l) out of the way, I ran it over anyway. I recognized it pretty quickly and pushed in the clutch pedal. By the time it stopped, I must have had over 200 feet wrapped around it. (didn't hurt anything but it took about an hour to cut it out and I sure felt stupid!) There's an awful lot of energy in those rotating masses.