Adding temperature gauge to TC-29

/ Adding temperature gauge to TC-29 #1  

fflmlf

Tractor
NH TC29
My TC-29 has just the idiot light. I know where the temperature switch is up by the thermostat, traced the wire, tested it's function, etc. If you ground out the wire, voila, the light comes on. Thing is, you don't get a 'light check' confirmation when you turn the key like you do for oil pressure. So, who knows if the bulb is burnt out or good?

In central Texas, I'd like to make sure that light is working when it's 110 degrees.

So, my thought is I would circumvent the stupid light and mount a mechanical gauge (somewhere, will think about that next) and watch my own dang temperatures.

Has anyone replaced the temperature switch with a temperature sensor? Looks like an odd-ball fitting size, bigger than what you typically see for a temp sensor. Imagine I'd have to cobble an adapter together.... BUT, if anyone has ever done this, maybe I can save some fabrication time.

ideas????

Ted

/ Adding temperature gauge to TC-29 #3  
My 1999 TC 29D has a temp. guage on it. You may be able to find a deluxe model dash and swap them out

/ Adding temperature gauge to TC-29 #4  
fflmlf said:
My TC-29 has just the idiot light. I know where the temperature switch is up by the thermostat, traced the wire, tested it's function, etc. If you ground out the wire, voila, the light comes on. Thing is, you don't get a 'light check' confirmation when you turn the key like you do for oil pressure. So, who knows if the bulb is burnt out or good?

In central Texas, I'd like to make sure that light is working when it's 110 degrees.

So, my thought is I would circumvent the stupid light and mount a mechanical gauge (somewhere, will think about that next) and watch my own dang temperatures.

Has anyone replaced the temperature switch with a temperature sensor? Looks like an odd-ball fitting size, bigger than what you typically see for a temp sensor. Imagine I'd have to cobble an adapter together.... BUT, if anyone has ever done this, maybe I can save some fabrication time.

ideas????

Ted

If you only have an idiot light and no analog gauge (temp needle) then your sensor is only is to make or break (on or off , either normally closed or normally open chosen based on electrical layout). If that is the case then your sensor will not work with analog gauge. if you desire to have analog and be able to continously monitor temp as it rises, then you can buy a combo gauge and sensor and mount it on the dash. You'll need to find some place on t-stat housing or some other temp represantative place to mount your new sensor.
You can not put an analog sensor (changes resistivity according to temp) in place of the on/off sensor that you have now .... the temp light will always stays on and may get dimer or brighter based on the temp. You can not add an analog gauge and use on/off sensor either... the on/off sensor can not drive analog gauge.

Jc,

/ Adding temperature gauge to TC-29
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post.

Yes, I know I can't use the temperature 'switch' that is currently mounted on the engine. What I want to do is replace the switch with a sending unit so that I can use my own gauge. My question is more, 'what size is the fitting.'

I can go the NH route and replace the switch with a NH sensor and new temperature GAUGE for the instrument panel... from Messick's:

Temp Sensor: SBA385720030 , $41.67
Gauge: 86540855 , $41.49

So that doesn't sound too bad... so, who knows if you can install said gauge in the existing instrument cluster? I'm going to go out and look at mine, but not taking it apart for sake of breaking something that's not broken.

Price of new cluster is shocking at $461.00 Okay, not shocking, more like expected, but about $350 more than I want to spend to get a temp gauge.

Thanks,
Ted

/ Adding temperature gauge to TC-29 #6  
Thanks for posting those part numbers.