NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #1  

Roper14

Simply put I have found a TN 65 a few hours away from where I live ('03, 2wd with a couple of hundred hours, and a FEL, priced in the low to mid teens). I am familiar with these tractors (although the last Ford / NH owned was a 7740, since owned / operated green, orange, and 2 shades of red, all good tractors), yet the "newer" New Holland's, like everything else, seem a little different (all the companies lowering costs trying to compete)

I believe that it would be a good tractor, but before I drive 3-5 hours to look at one, I have read some negative issues specifically addressed toward the TN's. (this site and others) electrical - underpowered - (fuel tank would not be a problem).

So are there any TN 65 or TN owners out there that can give input either way? All tractors have their limitations size, hydraulics, weight, hp, tranny, yet shouldn't a well built tractor (by a well respected company) still BE a tractor (as long as you take care of it and don't hook a 15 foot disk to a 50 hp tractor;) )- some are making this one out to be a lemon.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #2  
I have a TN70S and I've been really happy with it's performance. All around, for what I do, it's the perfect size and power. Power actually seems to be better than the rating - but I haven't put it on a dyno so that's really subjective. The only big issue I had with it was with the PowerShuttle transmission - some early models had a bad controller that would go out and leave you stranded. Otherwise, this thing takes quite a beating and just comes back for more. Keep in mind that you'll hear bad things about any product - people are a hundred times more likely to complain publicly than they are to praise something. Quality on my tractor is really top-notch, and the ergonomics of the tractor are the best of any I've operated.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #3  
I bought my TN65 in 99 and have not had any major issues with it other then the original QC problems that bothered the first couple years of a new model. Since my dealer took care of them in the first year I have only had one snap ring break that cost me $2.

I do not think the TN65 is underpowered and have used mine on a 9' discbine and a NH 575 baler with thrower. I pull a 12' disc also and it has not failed me. I can't remember the exact hours but I know it is over 1100 now. I would not hesitate to buy one but being 2wd don't expect to move mountains with the loader.

For the record, my TN65 has FWA, mechanical shuttle and the 8x8 tranny.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #4  
I bought a used TN70A. I love it. AG tires, FEL, 8x8 tranny with Power Shuttle. Has FWA. I call it the beast.

Drive it and see what you think.

Now, the real question. What do you plan on doing with it? That dictates what you need to buy. So, tell us what you plan on doing with it? Then we can give you better opinions.
Bob

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #5  
I bought a new TN60A one year ago, now with 80 hours, use it to move 1200-1500# round bales, bucket work, move snow, pound posts with a Shaver 12 (Big one!), and am impressed with it's power, quality of workmanship, and have had no problems except a coupler to the FEL that needed some wrenching I couldn't do. Mine is FWA, radial tires, big pump, extra outlets, and I just can't complain. I am lucky as I've been with the same dealer for over 10 years, and it's my third tractor with them so I felt confident with my dealer's analysis of what I needed and he was right. I agree, you need to decide what you need it for, but I can't complain about the machine for my use. Bill

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad
I appreciate everyone's feedback..As far as what I am going to be doing..Of course dragging an arena, bushogging about 30 acres, pulling a 500 gallon sprayer, and then the dirt work for a house / road. I do believe that this size tractor would do just fine (it would probably be a little small for a 15 ft batwing if I ever get more acreage) but as stated in the original post, I had gone out on the "net" to find some info and found nothing but negative info...not to anger anyone...but I cannot justify trying to buy a "compact" tractor for the same amount of money that someone could probably buy a larger utility tractor (that may not have cup holders) :cool: as that is just about all that can be found these days...(compacts)
Thanks again for the feedback...I will see about taking a look at the "little " TN and go from there

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #7  
Roper14 said:
I appreciate everyone's feedback..As far as what I am going to be doing..Of course dragging an arena, bushogging about 30 acres, pulling a 500 gallon sprayer, and then the dirt work for a house / road. I do believe that this size tractor would do just fine (it would probably be a little small for a 15 ft batwing if I ever get more acreage) but as stated in the original post, I had gone out on the "net" to find some info and found nothing but negative info...not to anger anyone...but I cannot justify trying to buy a "compact" tractor for the same amount of money that someone could probably buy a larger utility tractor (that may not have cup holders) :cool: as that is just about all that can be found these days...(compacts)
Thanks again for the feedback...I will see about taking a look at the "little " TN and go from there

I am not sure why buy you called the TN a compact twice and "little" once. If this size utility tractor is too small why are you even looking at it?

The 7740 you use to own is considerably larger and to find that size tractor you would need to look at the TS/6000 line and the price for that size utility tractor is about double the TN line.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #8  
Robert_in_NY said:
I am not sure why buy you called the TN a compact twice and "little" once. If this size utility tractor is too small why are you even looking at it?

The 7740 you use to own is considerably larger and to find that size tractor you would need to look at the TS/6000 line and the price for that size utility tractor is about double the TN line.
I didn't read it as him calling the TN a compact; I think he was saying the TN was a better buy for the same money as the new compacts, and compared to the 7740, it was little. Just my interpretaion.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #9  
He wrote
I cannot justify trying to buy a "compact" tractor for the same amount of money that someone could probably buy a larger utility tractor

I wasn't trying to start an argument or even debate but from the way his last post was it doesn't seem to me that the TN is a big enough tractor for what he wants.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad
I apologize anyone for the misleading..I type the way I talk...rambling man...

What I meant was (in my opinion) that the Market today is filled with "compact" tractors that are really made for your 1-2 acre land owner. These tractors will cost the same or even more than what a larger utility tractor will cost. I've been to 3-4 different dealerships massey, deere...and 90% of what they have on their lot are compacts....new massey dealer has about 20 compacts and literally 2 yes two utility tractors.

Concerning the size, if I opt for the TN it would be the 2nd smallest tractor we've had behind a Kub m4900 (the reason for calling it little)....a cattle ranch that is no more, where there used to be JD 6300s, 6400s, kub m9000s, massey 293, ole case 685s, at different times...and as many of you know...you need a little extra omph to pull a round baler or a batwing.....

yet all I have now is 30 acres...home sweet home :cool: so i no longer have the need for 85 horses under the hood (6500 lbs)...I believe i can get by with 50-65 (~4500lbs)

thx for the input on the TN