TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed

/ TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed #1  

thclimer

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D, Massey 1736
Well, I finally got around to replacing my ignition switch and in the process I believe I found my intermittent glow plug problem (with turning the ignition switch to the first position the glow plugs would not power up).

Due to previous starting issues I had removed and disassemble the OEM switch only to find out how flimsy it was (see attached pictures). Some of the plastic pieces (which is mostly what the switch is made of) were even melted. Since I needed to run the tractor that day I put the pieces back together the best I could and amazingly it worked. Now with the weather being nice I decided to perform the ignition switch swap before the snow starts flying and the wind whipping.

I replaced the OEM switch with one I purchased at NAPA like others have done. I put everything back together and my intermittent glow plug problem was back. So I opened up everything and started turning the ignition switch and wiggling wires. Come to find out, by wiggling wires to the glow plug timer relay I cold get the glow plugs to come on and go off. So I thought must be a loose wire connection, but no, turns out the circuit board inside the relay was flexing causing a loose connection.

So now with a new glow plug timer ($52) everything is working just fine and I'm sure my tractor will be much happier starting when its 20 below, me too since I won't be out there shoveling snow by hand.

Attachments

• Relay Open.JPG
    Relay Open.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 4,696
  • Switch Open-1.JPG
    Switch Open-1.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 3,615
  • Switch Open-2.JPG
    Switch Open-2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,294
  • Switch-Relay.JPG
    Switch-Relay.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 6,994
   / TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed #2  
thclimer said:
Well, I finally got around to replacing my ignition switch and in the process I believe I found my intermittent glow plug problem (with turning the ignition switch to the first position the glow plugs would not power up).

Due to previous starting issues I had removed and disassemble the OEM switch only to find out how flimsy it was (see attached pictures). Some of the plastic pieces (which is mostly what the switch is made of) were even melted. Since I needed to run the tractor that day I put the pieces back together the best I could and amazingly it worked. Now with the weather being nice I decided to perform the ignition switch swap before the snow starts flying and the wind whipping.

I replaced the OEM switch with one I purchased at NAPA like others have done. I put everything back together and my intermittent glow plug problem was back. So I opened up everything and started turning the ignition switch and wiggling wires. Come to find out, by wiggling wires to the glow plug timer relay I cold get the glow plugs to come on and go off. So I thought must be a loose wire connection, but no, turns out the circuit board inside the relay was flexing causing a loose connection.

So now with a new glow plug timer ($52) everything is working just fine and I'm sure my tractor will be much happier starting when its 20 below, me too since I won't be out there shoveling snow by hand.

Thanks,

I always enjoy reading or doing myself detective work with corroborating Pics:D

JC,

/ TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed #3  
thclimer said:

Can you share a picture of the NAPA ignition switch and a part number?

/ TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed
I used the same NAPA switch (Part Number KS6600) that 泥AVCON used in his post dated 10-15-06. I didn稚 take any pictures so here are the ones DAVCON took. I connected mine the same except I connected both my red wires to the BAT terminal, Purple to ST terminal and the Orange to IGN terminal.

This is a very beffy switch.

Attachments

• NAPA Part Number.jpg
    NAPA Part Number.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2,981
  • NAPA Switch Terminals.jpg
    NAPA Switch Terminals.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,927
  • Napa Switch Front.jpg
    Napa Switch Front.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 3,185
   / TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed #5  
Thanks for sharing that NAPA part number with me, guess I missed the original post. Our 40D has the original ignition switch although it has given me a few problems like getting sticky from time to time. WD40 has always worked in the past but for how long I'm not sure.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed #6  
Nice fix on the original switch. the only problem I'd have with that type of fix is that my dealer wouldn't be able to pick up my tractor whenever I call. Now when I need service he just send a truck with a driver that has all machine keys.

Andy

/ TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed #7  
AndyMA said:
Nice fix on the original switch. the only problem I'd have with that type of fix is that my dealer wouldn't be able to pick up my tractor whenever I call. Now when I need service he just send a truck with a driver that has all machine keys.

Andy

Andy thats not a problem for guys with New Hollands as they never need go back to the dealer for service. ;)

/ TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed #8  
I had the same problem (intermittent glow plugs) with my DX40. I replaced the ignition switch, like you did. Then I replaced the glow plug timer relay, and that seemed to fix the problem. The new relay ($48) had a different part number, but looks the same except the sticker on the relay is gold, not blue. Partsman told me there must have been a change to the internals of this new relay (hopefully better). The part number for the new one is 385870301. The old one that I replaced was 385870300.

Just thought you might want to know.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed
sheepman said:
I had the same problem (intermittent glow plugs) with my DX40. I replaced the ignition switch, like you did. Then I replaced the glow plug timer relay, and that seemed to fix the problem. The new relay ($48) had a different part number, but looks the same except the sticker on the relay is gold, not blue. Partsman told me there must have been a change to the internals of this new relay (hopefully better). The part number for the new one is 385870301. The old one that I replaced was 385870300.

Just thought you might want to know.
When I picked up my new glow plug relay they didn't mention anything about the part number being different, but I did notice like you the nameplate went from a blue background to gold colored one. So it sounds like I got the newer versions. Thanks for the heads up.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Problem Fixed #10  
Just read your post from years back talking about a tc33d glow plug timer you bought for $52. Is that the same as 385870301 and did you get it at Napa. Thanks, Roy Bean