setting a power shuttle

/ setting a power shuttle #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
What Im about to talk about is in light of past experience w/ a JD Power Reverser transmission. The JD transmission will modulate the tractors speed prior to shifting, do the direction change and then speed back up to where it was prior to the shift. By and large its a pretty smooth operation. My TN75 PS does an instant direction change. Is this normal and is there a means of smoothing things out so its not abrupt? The operators manual is completely silent on this. Is there any negative side to smoothing things out (like premature clutch wear etc)?

/ setting a power shuttle #2  
As far as I know the NH Power Shuttle is fully programable. My TN75D is set up to smoothly modulate from forward to reverse at any speed. At one point it was rather abrubt and the dealer did a simple reprogramming and it became smooth as silk.

Andy

/ setting a power shuttle
Thanx Andy...is this something they did at the shop or on-sight?

/ setting a power shuttle #4  
I routinely recalibrate clutches on a variety of New Holland tractors on site. If the oil is at operating temp when I arrive, I can recalibeate a TN in about the same time it would take the average truck driver to load it and chain it down. Calibration does require either a laptop computer with the correct software or a CDT (proprietary scanner).

Talked w/ my dealer and, while they could do the change onsite, theyd prefer it be at the shop. Calibration isnt considered part of a normal machine setup (as in a new machine being delivered to a customer) so strictly speaking its a 'charge for' procedure. My dealer said though if I can get the tractor to his shop he'd do it for free. So Im all set in that regard.

Not grousing, just trying to figure out the drill...it seems that setting up the clutch properly would happen before delivering the machine to a customer. Right off I cant think of any application where youd want to switch directions instantly esp at rated speed. I guess NH doesnt see it this way though. If I had known I needed to get the clutch recalibrated I would have had that done prior to taking delivery. Its hard to know what the important questions to ask are sometimes.

/ setting a power shuttle #6  
Glad you got it straightened out. I'm just guessing but I suspect that it is something that you need to finally set when there is a little breakin on the clutch packs.

Andy

:) well Im certainly breaking it in :) Hadnt thought about it in that light and Ill have to ask when Im there next.

Thanx a million for the helps!!

ETA: Just a thought...if this was something that needed after break in adjustment/setting Id think the operator manual would say so. Maybe I missed that part. :)

Last edited:
   / setting a power shuttle #8  
My DX55 seems to vary the engagemant speed depending on my RPMs. The higher the RPMs the more lag time when changing direction. Unless it's just my imagination since a higher RPM normally means I'm moving faster, and notice a longer coast before changing direction. Either way I'm glad to hear it's adjustable if needed.

/ setting a power shuttle #9  
jimg said:
:)
ETA: Just a thought...if this was something that needed after break in adjustment/setting Id think the operator manual would say so. Maybe I missed that part. :)

I'm not sure it always needs to be adjusted. One of my TN's did and the other did not. I think it's just the matter of how you like it. Not all adjustments are mentioned in your manual, in fact very few are.

Andy

/ setting a power shuttle #10  
Ford850 said:
My DX55 seems to vary the engagemant speed depending on my RPMs. The higher the RPMs the more lag time when changing direction. Unless it's just my imagination since a higher RPM normally means I'm moving faster, and notice a longer coast before changing direction. Either way I'm glad to hear it's adjustable if needed.

I don't think the system on the DX55 operates the same way the TN series does. I'm not sure how adjustable it is. The hydroshuttle on my 2120 on which the TC55 is based is not adjustable. Perhaps RickB can let you know.

Andy