Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Default Front wheel lug bolt size TC40DA?

We finally had enough rain so I could disc a small area around the outside of my field I need to burn next spring. After making a couple of passes, I pulled into the barn, hopped off the tractor and saw that left front was flat and the bead broken. My compressor is in the garage and I didn't want to drive on the tire. Thought I'd remove the wheel, but not sure of the socket size. A 7/8" doesn't seem tight enough. I don't have a metric socket that large to try. I've been searching the owners manual and see the torque specs, but not size.

I have a portable compressor, so after searching here, think I'll haul it down to the barn and try removing the valve core and using some soap and straps. If I have to remove it, I think it is going to take an impact wrench.

Any other tricks/advice - other than to check the pressure more than once every 2 years
    Barry
    Lawson Hill Farm
    NH TC40DA
    '64 IH Cub Lo-Boy
    '47 Willys Jeep CJ2a w/ PTO
    '49 Willys Jeep CJ3a w/ PTO & 3pt lift
    http://www.farmjeep.com/

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: Front wheel lug bolt size TC40DA?

7/8" it is. Metric wheel hardware and pilot & lug circle metric dimensions disappeared when the TC's arrived. I avoid using 12 point sockets on wheel hardware. In fact, I pretty much avoid using 12 point sockets altogether.

Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Quote Originally Posted by RickB
    7/8" it is. Metric wheel hardware and pilot & lug circle metric dimensions disappeared when the TC's arrived. I avoid using 12 point sockets on wheel hardware. In fact, I pretty much avoid using 12 point sockets altogether.
    Thanks, I'll pick up a five point tomorrow. Hoping it was just low.
    Barry
    Lawson Hill Farm
    NH TC40DA
    '64 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

"Thanks, I'll pick up a five point tomorrow."

Six point is more commonly available and will fit your lug bolts.

Tractor
    NH TC40DA

OK, tried the portable compressor and a strap around the tire. No progress. I used my SIX point 7/8" socket and impact wrench and now have the tire on the floor. I can't figure out the valve, so I may just take it in to a tire place this week.

The real BAD news is that the left REAR was down. I aired it up, but I am now wondering if I hit something on that side. If the rear is down when I return next weekend, I'll have to get a service to come out.
    Barry
    Lawson Hill Farm
    NH TC40DA
    '64 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 , New Holland TN75D, Hitachi UH083LC Excavator

Quote Originally Posted by lhfarm
    OK, tried the portable compressor and a strap around the tire. No progress. I used my SIX point 7/8" socket and impact wrench and now have the tire on the floor. I can't figure out the valve, so I may just take it in to a tire place this week.

The real BAD news is that the left REAR was down. I aired it up, but I am now wondering if I hit something on that side. If the rear is down when I return next weekend, I'll have to get a service to come out.
    Sounds liek you may have done in both tires on that side. I have had similar experiences over the years.

Andy