Tires Cut tire - tube or replace?

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
My TC40DA has 150 hours and very little tire wearon the R4s. Something cut my front tire. The cut is about an inch long, middle of the tire and runs from the edge of the tread to the base. There is no way it can be plugged- at least I don't think so. Should I try a tube, or just replace it?

Thanks

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #2  
Does it hold air with the cut? Do you have a FEL?

If it holds air and no FEL, I would leave it alone. If it does not hold air, then replace. If it holds air and have FEL, then a little more difficult to answer. If the cut is not deep and holds air, and have FEL, I would probably leave it alone.

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #3  
radman1 said:

If it holds air and no FEL, I would leave it alone. If it does not hold air, then replace. If it holds air and have FEL, then a little more difficult to answer. If the cut is not deep and holds air, and have FEL, I would probably leave it alone.

I agree with radman1. I only added tubes when my tires became compromised.

Jay

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #4  
I'd put a farm patch on the inside, .. a big one that has no chance of pushing out of the cut.. then I'd tube it.

I've got a hole big enough to put my thumb thru ont he front of my NH 7610s.. patch and tube been holding that old bald casing together for a season and a half now..

soundguy

/ Cut tire - tube or replace?
radman1 said:

It doesn't hold air and I have an FEL. I was shocked by the length and depth of the cut. I was discing an old pasture. When I got it seated (another thread), I could immediately hear the air rush.

The local tire dealer who handled tractor tires closed. I'll need to wait till mid-week to get it to a tire store.

Thanks for the responses.

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #6  
I'd suggest you get the tire foamed. That way the cut won't be a problem any longer. In addition, you won't have to worry about getting the new tire cut.

I had both front tires on my tractor foamed and it cost a little under $100 each. Haven't had a problem since.

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #7  
Either foam it or get a new tire is my opinion.

Andy

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #8  
Man...An inch long cut .. and he needs a new tire?... must be some pretty well off people here... course this is TBN... and as the rumor goes.. it's pretty much the fastest way to spend your money!! (wink)

I work for a gc with lots of heavy equipment.. we have tires on some machines that cost 1000-2000$.. I've seen 'fist' sized holes patched before...

My tractor tires have thumb and finger sized holes. ( all repaired ). I've seen antique tractors with a tire 'transplant' patch BOLTED on to the old rubber from a donor tire.. I've also seen bailing wire used to 'lace' a cut/split tire up.. Pretty much a bead failure is about the only certain death for a tractor tire if you don't mind a patch/boot/tube.

Now..if you are rich.. or ride on-road alot... go for the new tires!

Soundguy

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #9  
I just put near rear tires on my Massey Ferguson 150 this past weekend. The old tires were almost 25 years old. 2 years after I put them on, I snagged a sidewall on the edge of a driveway culvert and put a 2-1/2" to 3" cut all the way throught the sidewall. It cut through the tube and flattened the tire. I put a 6" boot, and then covered that with a 10" boot on the inside of the tire, installed a new tube, filled it back with fluid, and ran the tire for 23 more years until it was just about worn out. Now that's on a heavily used farm tractor. Unless you're just flushed with cash and like feeding your local economy, why give up on a perfectly usable tire just because it has a little scratch? I'm with SouNdguy on this one.

/ Cut tire - tube or replace?
I'm not insterested in spending money, but I do want a fix that is going to work. My weekend plans came to a halt with that flat. With only one tractor and limited hours each weekend, I can't afford the down time. It really is a case of having more money than time right now.

I'm going to take an afternoon off and drive the hour to farm, then another 30 minutes to a tire dealer. I'm going to rely on the dealer's honesty to make the call on fix or replace.