Glow Plug Problem

/ Glow Plug Problem #11  
AndyG, our TC40 tractors are very close in age & hours. I was having the same glowplug problem & was able to correct it by pushing the wires tight into the connector on the timer relay, releasing the wire tie tension & cleaning everything. I'd be very interested to know if I was just lucky or this also works for you. Let us know how things turn out.

/ Glow Plug Problem #12  
Thanks for the tip Vintage. The glow plugs do seem to intermitent. They worked just fine this weekend. I have already ordered a new one. I will go ahead and get it as a spare.

/ Glow Plug Problem #13  
You made a wise decision purchasing a timer relay, after adding 8 more hours to the meter without any problems, the light came on intermittenly today. So I replaced the timer relay & added a couple of hours without any incident. So much for my lucky, cheap fix.

/ Glow Plug Problem #14  
I picked up the timer last night. I get a little annoyed with this thing sometimes. I collect and restore antique equipment for a hobby. I even have a steam engine. Many people asked me why I bought a shiny new tractor when I could have gotten an older one that does the same work for MUCH less $$. My reply has always been: "I want a tractor to work WITH not work ON!" Guess I'm going to have to eat those words. The old crank start F-20 doesn't have goofy electronic gadgets that crap out on you.

/ Glow Plug Problem #15  
Mine did the same thing. It would come on, go out, come and stay on for a while.
I had to have some other work done on it so the shop foreman ran a toggle switch out the steering to turn on the plugs and I reworked it to give it a easier and better looking appearance. Two wires are all that is needed and a push button switch and I cut a finger out of a mechanics glove that resembles a surgeons glove and put it over the button and put a small tie on that has been there all summer and this winter. Just count four seconds and hit the starter.

Attachments

• TractorGlowPlugSwitch.jpg
    TractorGlowPlugSwitch.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 486
   / Glow Plug Problem #16  
Speaking of all this, how much trouble is involved in pulling the lower cowling? I've got to do it on my TC35 and am just curious before I get started.

thanks

toni

/ Glow Plug Problem #17  
I have limited mechanical skills & on the TC40 it took about 10 mins to replace the relay & have everything back together. However it did take me a lot longer to part with the $48.73 for the new relay. Even with the problems I've had, I really like my tractor

/ Glow Plug Problem #18  
Another glow plug timer for the records - 2003 TC40D. $51 dollars and some change for the part. Took all of 5 minutes to change out.

/ Glow Plug Problem #19  
Propertymaint said:
Another glow plug timer for the records - 2003 TC40D. $51 dollars and some change for the part. Took all of 5 minutes to change out.

It sounds like New Holland is having a fairly high failure rate with theses timers. I hope my replacement lasts much longer than the first one.

/ Glow Plug Problem #20  
I'm going to add that I TOO have the issues with my glow plug light coming on and then going off after only like 2 seconds, and when engine running it'll come on for 2-4 seconds and then go off. Did you guys just order the timer OR did you get the controller and timer:

SBA385870301 NH timer ($61.36)
SBA385870300 contoller ($54.76)

Should I get both for my TC34DA? I think I better get to gettin' before the winter sets in... Thanks in advance!

Max