Glow Plug Problem

/ Glow Plug Problem #1  

scanode

I have a 4 year old TC29D New Holland.The glow plug lite comes on after it's been running for a few minutes and flickers and sometimes stays on solid.Does anybody have any pictures of the glow plug and the timer relay and where exactly are they located on this tractor. Thanks for any help that's offered.Also,will it hurt anything to run it this way?
Thanks,Steve

/ Glow Plug Problem #2  
Steve our 40D had the same symptom until we replaced the timer. In our case the lower cowling needed to be removed to access the timer. It's about the size of a Zippo lighter.

I personally unplugged the defective timer until a replacement could be found. Didn't want to chance burning up a glow-plug

WELCOME to TBN

/ Glow Plug Problem #3  
I copied these pictures from a post, which Maxfior made on (9-6-07). His tractor was a TC34DA, mine is a TC33D and the locations are very similar. The timer is located on the far right side, it has the blue colored label and white connector which plugs into it's side near the top. I don't specifically remember which one of the relays to the left of the timer was associated with the glow plugs. Hope this starts to point you in the right direction.

Attachments

• DSC04894.jpg
    DSC04894.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 3,555
  • DSC04895.jpg
    DSC04895.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,859
   / Glow Plug Problem #4  
scanode said:
I have a 4 year old TC29D New Holland.The glow plug lite comes on after it's been running for a few minutes and flickers and sometimes stays on solid.Does anybody have any pictures of the glow plug and the timer relay and where exactly are they located on this tractor. Thanks for any help that's offered.Also,will it hurt anything to run it this way?
Thanks,Steve

Picture of glow plug and where it is screwed to my Ford-1700. I have no timer in the circuit. As long as I keep the switch 30 degrees CCW on start starter switch it'll glow and small wire (indicator) continues glowing red.

JC,

/ Glow Plug Problem
Yesterday I replaced the glow plug timer relay and that took care of my problem with the glow plug lite coming on and staying on. Thanks to all for the helpful info and pictures.This is a great web site.

/ Glow Plug Problem #6  
I'm glad you fixed your problem!

Did the new timer have the gold colored label rather than the blue one?

I agree this is a very helpful site.

/ Glow Plug Problem
The label on the new one was the same as the old one,blue.It was an identical part.The label on the relay says lamptimer DC12V. Thanks again everybody!

/ Glow Plug Problem #8  
Sounds like I have the same trouble as Scanode. How much should I expect to pay for the timer? I'm pretty disappointed at some of the quality on my TC40D. 3.5 years old and 280 hours already had the thermostat fail, the tilt steering (I made my own manual version because I refused to pay $200 for a gas shock that was a poor design in the first place.) and now the glow plug timer. Has anyone made a manual switch for the glow plugs? I wouldn't mind holding a button down for 30 seconds if it meant eliminating the complex and unreliable timer.

/ Glow Plug Problem #9  
I paid $52.00 for my glow Plug timer (Part Number SBA385870301). I was tempted to replace the timer with a switch myself, but in the end decided to purchase the timer just to keep things original.

/ Glow Plug Problem #10  
Had the same problem with my 2002 TC45D. Seems to be a pretty common problem.

Pretty easy fix... about 30 minutes and I had the old timer out, new one replaced and cowls back in place.....

Jeff