how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter?

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter? #1  

ratropia

2007 TC 30
How long should I warm up my tractor in the winter before operating? A buddy of mine with a TC35 said his manual stated to let it warm up for a certain period of time before using when the outside temp was below 32deg F.
I could not find it in my manual, so I thought I would ask the board.
Thanks Rick T.

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter? #2  
I think your owner manual is going to tell you directly or at least give guide lines. I know mine does. Plus itll give rpms as well.

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter?
Jimg, In a prior post of yours you said your avatar was your son in the military. I thank him for his service and pray for his safety.
Thanks for the reply to my post. But I hate to sound like an idjit, but I cannot find in my manual, guidelines or a direct statement as to how long to warm up the engine when cold out. It is the New Holland TC30 Operators Manual.
Thanks Rick T.

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter? #4  
ratropia:

Welcome to TBN and the Blue Forum :D! I checked my Owner's Manual and found no information regarding cold weather start ups except to recommend the dealer installed engine block heater. Last winter I would use the block heater for an hour or more depending on the temperature prior to starting my tractor. I would use the preheaters as recommended/timed, start up at approximately 1500RPM then boosting to 2000RPM. I would keep the clutch engaged initially during start up and then let the tractor run for about 5 minutes. During this period I would start to work the FEL and rear hydraulics to get the hydraulics warmed up. Jay

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter? #5  
jbrumberg said:
ratropia:I checked my Owner's Manual and found no information regarding cold weather start ups except to recommend the dealer installed engine block heater. Last winter I would use the block heater for an hour or more depending on the temperature prior to starting my tractor. I would use the preheaters as recommended/timed, start up at approximately 1500RPM then boosting to 2000RPM. I would keep the clutch engaged initially during start up and then let the tractor run for about 5 minutes. During this period I would start to work the FEL and rear hydraulics to get the hydraulics warmed up. Jay

I would like to welcome you too. Jbrumberg's suggestion is pretty good. I would follow it. I have a TC29D that had a factory block heater but I have not eve unraveled the cord yet. Mine sits in a garage for the most part and the one or two times a year I leave it out over night in 0 deg I don't plug it in. If I left it out all the time then I would be plugging it in. Once started just let it run at a fast idle for a few minutes.

murph

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter? #6  
i wait unitl theres some movement on the temp gauge then I'm ready to roll. i wait until its closer to operating temp before putting much load on it.

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter? #7  
ratropia said:
2007 TC 30
How long should I warm up my tractor in the winter before operating? A buddy of mine with a TC35 said his manual stated to let it warm up for a certain period of time before using when the outside temp was below 32deg F.
I could not find it in my manual, so I thought I would ask the board.
Thanks Rick T.

Have an engine block heater installed. Just for fun last winter when it was around 10 degrees, I tried starting my TN65 without the aid of the block heater. Forget it...wouldn't even turn over. Then...I plugged in the block heater and let it on for about an hour. It started like it was summertime. I did let it run with the clutch engaged for about 10 minutes; then slowly operated the hydraulics. Worked just fine.

Then engine block heater is a great investment if you're going to use the tractor during the cold weather.

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter? #8  
Last year my TC40 started just fine in the cold weather anywhere from single didgits on up without a block heater. It sits in a shed outside that is open across the front, no heat. The tractor frequently sits 4 weeks at a time without running.

Although a block heater would not hurt anything either.

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter? #9  
I just start mine and set to about 1500rpm. Once its running smooth [almost right away] I put it in a fairly low gear and take off. Upshift to brisk walking speed and head to where Im going. Play with the hydraulics on the way. Once there I start working but still keep the rpms and heavy loads down for a few minutes.
larry

/ how long should I warm up my tractor in the winter? #10  
As soon as the oil pressure comes up (about 5 seconds) put a light load on it (drive it). Once the temp. gauge starts moving you can start heavy work.