1700 spewing hydraulic fluid

/ 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid #1  

BWBrown

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, IH 2500A
I purchased my 1700 new in 1981, used it 9 years, moved and sold it. In '93 I moved back, and last year had the chance to buy the old girl back, which I did for sentimental reasons, and I needed a machine this size.
I have to say that 15 years and an abusive PO have taken their toll.

I have since rebuilt the frame for the FEL, an aftermarker Bush Hog unit.
I have drilled & retapped the dozen front frame bolts.
Most of the wiring is has been renewed, along with all the lights, switches and flashers.
All fluids and filters are new.
This week I rebuilt the steering box with a new worm drive/shaft unit and steering sector shaft.

I would love to find a nice pair of fenders to replace the wrinkled and rusted things hanging on right now.

But my real question. After just a short time of work with the TPH, which seems to function just as it should, the whole rear end of the tractor is drenched with hydraulic fluid, coming, I assume from the (under the left rear corner of the seat) breather which is missing its little cap.

Anyone have a thought of how to remedy this far too frequent annointing with oil?
TIA,
Bob

/ 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid #2  
First off I would check the level and replace the cap. I suspect the missing cap may be the problem.

Andy

/ 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid #3  
I agree with AndyMA. If the breather cap is missing, then oil in the reservoir just sloshing around could escape through the hole where the cap goes. From my experience, it does not take much hydraulic oil to make a big mess and look like a major leak.

/ 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid #4  
BWBrown said:
I purchased my 1700 new in 1981, used it 9 years, moved and sold it. In '93 I moved back, and last year had the chance to buy the old girl back, which I did for sentimental reasons, and I needed a machine this size.
I have to say that 15 years and an abusive PO have taken their toll.

I have since rebuilt the frame for the FEL, an aftermarker Bush Hog unit.
I have drilled & retapped the dozen front frame bolts.
Most of the wiring is has been renewed, along with all the lights, switches and flashers.
All fluids and filters are new.
This week I rebuilt the steering box with a new worm drive/shaft unit and steering sector shaft.

I would love to find a nice pair of fenders to replace the wrinkled and rusted things hanging on right now.

But my real question. After just a short time of work with the TPH, which seems to function just as it should, the whole rear end of the tractor is drenched with hydraulic fluid, coming, I assume from the (under the left rear corner of the seat) breather which is missing its little cap.

Anyone have a thought of how to remedy this far too frequent annointing with oil?
TIA,
Bob

Bob,

I tend to agree with others. Below you'll see the picture of 3 point lift housing that houses the lift piston and cylinder on Ford 1700. Are you talking about the breather cap just behind the seat as it is shown on the first picture? On second pic the cylinder is removed to you can see the other side of the lift spool valve. Any time you are not using you hydraulic system the full flow is relived back to the rear differential housing which also serves as hydraulic reservoir. so you have about 5 gpm of hyd fluid at a very hight pressure being sprayed inside the housing almost 99% of the time. The whole inside is constantly sprayed with that oil. I see quite possibility of it coming out of the breather hole.

JC,

/ 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid
JC,
Yes, that little (1/4" npt?) breater plug behind the seat, first picture, is the guy - he lost his little hat. :(
Makes sense. I have to go to the Ford/NH dealer tomorrow - might as well buy/order a new one. I'll let you know how I make out.

Now, about those poor fenders....

Thanks,
Bob

/ 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid #6  
I couldn't find the fenders on Messick's Parts list but the ones for my 2120 were $549 each. ouch

Andy

/ 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid #7  
BWBrown said:
JC,
Yes, that little (1/4" npt?) breater plug behind the seat, first picture, is the guy - he lost his little hat. :(
Makes sense. I have to go to the Ford/NH dealer tomorrow - might as well buy/order a new one. I'll let you know how I make out.

Now, about those poor fenders....

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

I know NH does have the cap. probably you can rig something up with a pice of copper pipe(soft) and a goose neck. may also use a piece of clear hose and a clamp for temporary measure. I don't think you have much pressure behind it. Andy checked the price and it seems it is pretty prohibitive. I probably get me a piece of 18-20 Gauge sheet metal and fab me sort of basic fender same as John Deere 5103. Pretty simple and utilitarian, although you have to have access to a sheet metal break. if you put size on paper I bit you a sheet metal shop can fab it. You can probably paint it although painting galvanized not very simple unless it is weathered. It will not win any prize for look but sure keep the mud at bay,

JC,

/ 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid #8  
   / 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid
Thankyou, Soundguy
I'm headed to my dealer as soon as they open up this morning.

I see these parts blowups from time to time. Are they readily available to us peons, or just the dealerships. aving them on screen would help answer a lot of questions about what is going on inside.
Bob

/ 1700 spewing hydraulic fluid #10  
I got that one from cnh's online website.

Go to:

CNH

then choose NH ag products.. ( middle item on left side )

then choose america from the menu on the right side

then choose parts search.. /search for parts this should spawn a window.

enter your machine number into the window and search.. choose the listing matching your machine.. then it comes up with a breakdown by system...

soundguy