TD95D glow plug question

/ TD95D glow plug question #1  

WTA

Platinum Member
I feel stupid even asking this but ............

The manual for my new tractor is pretty vague on the operation of the glow plug. This tractor only appears to have one in the intake and it appears to be manually operated by a push button below the steering wheel. I am used to working on a lot of different brands of tractors but not new hollands really.
I expected to hear a relay click or have a light come on when I push the button but nothing. I am just assuming it works because I haven't had any trouble starting it. It's only gotten down in the mid 20's so far though. Is the glow plug on this one just direct wired to the switch with no light or should I hear or see something when I push it?

/ TD95D glow plug question #2  
WTA said:
I feel stupid even asking this but ............

The manual for my new tractor is pretty vague on the operation of the glow plug. This tractor only appears to have one in the intake and it appears to be manually operated by a push button below the steering wheel. I am used to working on a lot of different brands of tractors but not new hollands really.
I expected to hear a relay click or have a light come on when I push the button but nothing. I am just assuming it works because I haven't had any trouble starting it. It's only gotten down in the mid 20's so far though. Is the glow plug on this one just direct wired to the switch with no light or should I hear or see something when I push it?

I have an older vintage Ford tractor on mine , I know I have no relay... it is a very simple system, I turn the key o the left it powers a simple circuit that also has a piece of coiled resistive wire in series in the circuit. As long as I have the key in that fix glow plugs heat up along with the indicator .. when indicator wire glows red indicated adequate preheating of combustion chamber. not having relay in the circuit is not "uncommon"

JC,

/ TD95D glow plug question #3  
i have a mitsu. and the key when turn to the left heats the glow plugs there is a indicator on the dash that looks like a salt shaker if u look inside u will see the wire getting red .when the wire is red it is ready to start.yours should be similar. if u dont have the indicator you can count to 10 while pressing the button then start.repeat as necessary.

/ TD95D glow plug question #4  
I suspect you don't have glow plugs. If it's like the TN's what you have is a heater that warms the fuel. On the TN you push the button located to the left of the steering wheel and hold it for a few seconds before and during starting with the key on. I hardly ever use it as the TN always starts very easily. On some machines instead of a fuel warmer, they use an intake air warmer.

Andy

/ TD95D glow plug question #5  
Oh yeah, you also don't hear anything on the TN.

Andy

/ TD95D glow plug question
It's got a single glow plug in the intake and that's it. I probably shouldn't even worry about it. I did get out and put my circuit tester on it today though while my kid was holding the button in. It's working. It's just a different system than I'm used to. I was a mechanic at a dealer selling case, kubota, MF's and a lot of old farmalls. The standard heated wire indicator and the switch in the key switch is what I am used to.

It was funny at the dealer the other day, the guy there told me that button was the ether injection. I know better. Mine doesn't have or need that on the 95 horse engine. The real big tractors have it as an option though.

The owners manual calls the glow plug button the "thermostat button" I'm just assuming that is the word they came up with translating the manual from Turkish or whatever the language of origin is to english.

/ TD95D glow plug question #7  
I think it's called a thermostart or that's what I see in my JX85 manual (same as yours but in Red) and in my specs. I've only had to use it when the temp gets below about 15 degrees. I held the button in for 25 seconds (per instructions) and she started right up.