Power Service = warmer engine

/ Power Service = warmer engine #1  

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
I have a DX55, and it's been dicussed here many times the 55's run with their temp gauge at the bottom edge of the normal range. Mine typically runs right on the edge, within the normal band by a hair, even when brush hogging on a hot summer day.
This week the temperatures have dipped to the lower 20's. I added a double shot of Power Service to the fuel, per the instruction on the white bottle. I was hauling firewood in the front end loader, with it sitting at idle half the time. I noticed the temp gauge was at least 1/4 way into the normal zone for the first time. The outside temperature was in the 40's. Just thought it was interseting it rasied the operating temperature that much, which is good in the winter.

/ Power Service = warmer engine #2  
Is it cause and effect or coincidence?
Bob

/ Power Service = warmer engine #3  
Don't know what it was but it was not the Power Service :)

/ Power Service = warmer engine
Seriously? It couldn't be the Power Service? I was hoping that was it. Now I have to try to recreate it.

/ Power Service = warmer engine #5  
I wonder if the higher cetane in your fuel by using Power Service has anything to do with it...

This is copied right from the Power Service website-

Boosts Cetane up to 4 Numbers
There is a direct relationship between a diesel fuel's cetane number and its ignition point. Delayed ignition is a primary cause of increased emissions and inferior engine performance. The lower the cetane number, the longer the ignition delay. Fuels with high cetane numbers burn more quickly and more completely, resulting in smoother running engines with less power lag, lower emissions and easier engine starting.

The Concentrated +Cetane Boost formula (1:1,500 Treatment Ratio) of Diesel Fuel Supplement boosts cetane up to 2 numbers. The Customer Convenience Formula (1:400 Treatment Ratio) boosts cetane up to 4 numbers.

/ Power Service = warmer engine #6  
Check your radiator to see if there is chaff on the fins. You might have had a build up from the mowing.

/ Power Service = warmer engine #7  
You might want to check the fan belt too. Blow the dust out of the radiator fins as well. :D

/ Power Service = warmer engine
I cleaned the radiator, and there was some buildup on the screen in front of it. I use My stihl blower on it occasionally to keep the dust and chaff buildup under control. It was no where near as bad as it gets in the fall when there is a thick layer, and even then the tempurature needle never goes above the minimum line. I was thrilled to see the needle 1/4 way into the normal zone since that would mean a more efficient engine. I've used the Power Service before, but this is the first time I doubled the dose for winter. I thought it could be due to the cetane boost as Dmace noted.

/ Power Service = warmer engine #9  
The thermostat is supposed to keep it at the prescribed temperature. Even if there is an appreciable cetane increase, the operating temperature should not have changed. Something else is going on.

If the temperature normally reads low, then you have:

A. An out of calibration thermostat.

B. An out of calibration temperature gauge.

C. A combination of A and B.

Unless you have an separate instrument voltage regulator, your temperature gauge reading is dependent on your battery voltage. It might be worthwhile to check and see if your charging system regulator is functioning properly.

If the temperature is really increasing due to a mild cetane boost and the thermostat is functioning, it would suggest a marginal cooling system, since the thermostat would have to be wide open to see the increase.

/ Power Service = warmer engine #10  
I don't know for sure but if you want to prove it you could do a test. On the same day with a fairly steady temp. you could siphon or drain your tank into a clean can. Then fill with little a bit of untreated fuel and run it for a while, maybe 1/2 hour. Then put the treated fuel back in and do the same type of work for another 1/2 hour.

But then, maybe you don't want to know that bad:)