Just bought an 8N

/ Just bought an 8N #21  
You will love that tractor. I have owned a '51 for many years and it has rarely let me down. No tractor has better parts availibility. In my opinion this tractor marked the high water mark for Ford. Its repalcement, the Jubilee, was a lot heavier, less fuel efficient, and was still just a 2-plow machine. The lack of live hydraulics is not that big of a handicap, and I will take the durable, refined hydraulics of the 8N over the tempermental, live system of the Jubilee any day. This was the tractor that brought us the 3 pt hitch and it will work with any properly sized modern implement. Even though it lacks extending link arms, etc, changing implements is a snap. The tractor is light enough that you can grab a tire lug and roll it forward or back slightly to make the 3 pt hook-up. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind my asking?

/ Just bought an 8N #22  
xlr82v2 said:
Soundguy, why are you trolling for an arguement?

I'm not.. you must be mistaken. ;) .. just trying to be thorough.

About the time that i agreed with you and said 'nope.. no difference'.. the next EE in line would step up and point out that there was indeed a small difference .. perhaps practical, perhaps not.. but deffinately a difference.

Soundguy

/ Just bought an 8N #23  
wolc123 said:
The lack of live hydraulics is not that big of a handicap, and I will take the durable, refined hydraulics of the 8N over the tempermental, live system of the Jubilee any day.

You can say that again. The 8n pump.. as well as the 9n/2n/ferguson pump was an object of simplicity to work on.. easy valve in pump design... The 53 and up used an unloading valve.. more difficult and intricate to work on.. more buggy when they did have problems.. etc.

Besides.. for a few hundred bucks you can make the 8n have live hyds. Heck.. if you keep your eyes open you can even find a live pto kit.. it's not much more than a hand clutch that replaces the coupling betwixt the pinion and tranny output shaft.... I've seen 8n outfit with each.. makes for a neat 27hp machine. ( the naa had that clutch available as well.. except that it could be hyd actuated.. etc.. with a small pump off the front tach drive..)

Soundguy

/ Just bought an 8N #24  
xlr82v2 said:
OK, I had to go back and re-read this thread to see where it fell off the cliff...

In answer to that question, of where this thing went off-track.. I think it was with this post.... that's where I pointed out that not ALL delco alternator conversions MUST be negative ground. From there it delved off into coil polarity mismatch and what 'negligible' effects it may have.. etc.

xlr82v2 said:
NOT ON THIS TRACTOR...
All 12V conversions using the Delco alternator MUST be Negative ground

In fairness.. , and as you stated earlier... -most- conversions using an alternator that you see on an old tractor will be 12v negative ground.. however.. I can tell you from being at shows and such.. that I see just as many 6v positive ground alternators on tractors from owners keeping their electrical ground OEM.. and just wanting more power than their 6v genny can kick out. ( I also see a few, but significant amount of 12v positive ground alternators, and many 12v 'stealth' jobs where the oem 6v genny has been reworked to be 12v.. or where a later application 12v genny has been swapped in.. .. etc.. ) My point in making the comment was only to point out that just because you see an alternator.. do not think that it only means 12v, negative ground... ( I got one at work with a 24v electrical system... alternator looks normal too! )

nuff' said on those points i believe

Soundguy

/ Just bought an 8N #25  
If Soundguy hadn't pointed out the trivia about reversing a coil, I would have, and I am no EE. Not even close, but my wife did spend the night at Holiday Inn Express. I learned it in Auto Mechanic's class at a college over in Pensacola back in the mid 70's, when coils and positive ground vehicles were a lot more common. Then a few years later got started driving and the first thing they explained to me was the truck I was driving was positive ground, so be carefull how you wire stuff in it, like a CB or a fuzzbuster.
David from jax

/ Just bought an 8N
Heck, I've only heard the term positive ground... what's the difference? Can somebody explain it?

/ Just bought an 8N #27  
The positive terminal of the battery hooks to the ground of the car, truck, or tractor. I have a 34 Ford in the shed that has this set up.

/ Just bought an 8N
What was the purpose in positive grounding?

/ Just bought an 8N #29  
Google edison effect / thermionic emission, then google kettering ignition system. Tells you all you need to know about the 'why'

Soundguy

/ Just bought an 8N #30  
not sure the year has a front dist and still working on intermit spark poor thing looks rough but it will be ok wife thinks funny. had one when I was a kid in 60s it worked
great! and will be fine once its restored