TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader

/ TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader #1  

lug nut

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-55 DA
I've been having a hard time turning when sitting still or slowly moving with a bale of hay on the front. I am moving large round bales that weigh 1200-1500 lbs or so. That should be well within the loader/tractor's capability, shouldn't it?

/ TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader #2  
According to the NH web site, 1,500 pounds is within the capability of the 270 TL loader. But if I remember correctly, the capacity of the loader has to be reduced by the weight of the QA equipment.

However, that should not effect the steering. How many rpms are you running when trying to turn? Since it's hydraulic steering, more rpms means more gpms and more power to the steering.

/ TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader #3  
This has been hashed out before. How much rear ballast do you have? Are your tires loaded? I have a rear ballast with approx. 1100lbs on my TC48. :eek: :rolleyes:

/ TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader #4  
No problem with your 55.. it's just physics.

As others stated.. the more weight on the front.. the more rear ballast you need. Also.. faster the engine turns.. the better steering response you have. My 7610s, at idle, doesn't turn well either.

I move round bales in the 700-1200# range with an old 1955 ford 850 with 1-arm loader.. no power steering. IE.. you can't turn the steering wheel unless you are rolling. Drive my tractor for a week and you will love that 55...

And no.. that pic isn't photoshopped. What you can't see is that I have about a 400-500# concrete counterweight tub on the rear 3pt.. actually.. you can just make out the edge of it int he pic.. etc..

Soundguy

Attachments

• 850hay.jpg
    850hay.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 358
   / TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader
My rear tires are loaded. It is easier to turn with a bale on the back, but I would think that it should turn easily unless at or close to the loader's capacity with just having the rear tires loaded. Maybe I am expecting too much.

I usually have the rpms around 2,000 and try to make my turns while moving, but it makes loading bales onto a trailer easier if I can turn while creeping or sitting still.

/ TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader #6  
The weight in the rear tires keeps the front end on the ground but does nothing to lighten the load on the front axle. You need to add weight to the 3 pt hitch. The weight on the 3 point hitch is 1.5 times moe effetive than the weight in the tires due to the leverage effect. It will also lighten the load on the front axle. I have a 2120 which is the same frame as the TC55 and when I am carrying heavy loads in addition to having the tires loaded, I carry a 1000 lb concrete block on the 3 pt hitch. Try it and i think you'll find you're steering will get much easier.

Andy

/ TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader #7  
I also have a 2120 which is the same basic tractor as your 48 or 55. Same problem of anytime I lift something more than a few hundred pounds ( and not near the capacity of the loader) the steering locks. I have checked the hydraulic safety in the gerotor box per the factory manuals and its only about 50 psig lower that the factory spec. Not worth messing with on mine. Even though I think the ford/new holland compact tractors are really nice tractors they do have their limits as compacts... Their rated loader capacitys are very high considering they are still lightweight compacts. If you were to raise the setpoint on the hydraulic steering safety you will definately bend at some point that single tiny power steering cylinder on the front axle, and or damage something else. The steering loads are not very well balanced with that type of design. Everything needs a weak link and that safety valve is doing its job. Its like living with my wife, love her dearly, but I have to live with her limits.

She just hit me...

She does have a pretty quick right.

/ TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader #8  
dogbreath108 said:
I also have a 2120 which is the same basic tractor as your 48 or 55. Same problem of anytime I lift something more than a few hundred pounds ( and not near the capacity of the loader) the steering locks. .

Interesting. I've had my 2120 since 1987 and have never had the steering lock. I load the heck out of it usually with large pieces of granite. Some are beyong the loaders capacity as I use forks to pick them off a pile and back out with them in the air. I wonder if it has to do with how your toe in is set?

Andy

/ TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader #9  
Hey Dog, what tires do you have on the front?

/ TC 55DA hard to turn when using the loader #10  
AndyMA said:
The weight in the rear tires keeps the front end on the ground but does nothing to lighten the load on the front axle. You need to add weight to the 3 pt hitch. The weight on the 3 point hitch is 1.5 times moe effetive than the weight in the tires due to the leverage effect. It will also lighten the load on the front axle. I have a 2120 which is the same frame as the TC55 and when I am carrying heavy loads in addition to having the tires loaded, I carry a 1000 lb concrete block on the 3 pt hitch. Try it and i think you'll find you're steering will get much easier.

Andy
I agree 100%. Most of the round bales I deal with range between 1800 to 2200 lbs (depending on moisture). My 1200 lbs rear ballast works rather well. Take it off and the loaded tires is not enough. The rear fills real lite carry 1800 to 2200 lbs of hay on the front end loader. And I use a front end loader bale spear.

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 550
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 475
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 465
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG