2120 hydraulic filter changing

/ 2120 hydraulic filter changing #1  

audiski86

Tractor
1997 New Holland 2120
The previous owner of my New Holland 2120 changed the hyrdraulic filter one month ago but didn't change the oil. The last time the oil was changed was 700 hours and it is now at 1200 so I plan on doing the oil soon. My question is whether I am safe to reuse the filter. I think they were $68 at the dealer.

/ 2120 hydraulic filter changing #2  
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, change the hyd. filter and oil every 300 hrs. This is especially important on a Electronic Shuttle Shift tranny (ESS). The OEM filter is a very high quality hydraulic filter, hence the price. I bet 10 gals of tractor fluid is going to cost just as much as the filter. I haven't bought it lately but I'm due.
I've attached a maintenance work sheet I use to keep track of all the scheduled stuff I do to my 2120, You're welcome to it.

Attachments

• maintenP1.PDF
    269.1 KB · Views: 893
   / 2120 hydraulic filter changing #3  
I agree. I bet you'd fell awfull if you thought that a 68$ filter that you didn't want to buy destroyed your tractor...

I don't like to reuse fitlers at all.. If i pull em.. i replace them.. I had to pull an oil filter to work onthe carb on one of my tractors... sure it was only 20 hrs on it.. but it's a 5$ filter.. and I don't have to worry that I got dirt in it when I pulled it off..... it's all in how you value your equipment.

My bigger NH tractor has an inner and outter air filter... manual says inner can be reused if it 'looks ok' .. If I pull my outter and it is dirty at service time.. i do both... sure I sunk 30$ in it I may not need to.. but it beats rebuilding a few thousand dollar engine...

Soundguy

/ 2120 hydraulic filter changing #4  
Hey Aud, before you throw that old filter out, do me a favor. Cut it open and see if its a fiber spool or just a multi layered screen material. I also have the larger (and more costly) filter on my 2120 (year 1998). I guess the later 2120's have a smaller and a bit cheaper hyd. filter. Supposedly one is a fiber material much like a engine oil filter, and the other is the screen type. Just wondering which one we have....

Also, don't forget to dump the oil from the bottom of the drive shaft gear AND in the back on the case. There are two spots to get all of it out...

Joe

/ 2120 hydraulic filter changing
Let me look I put it in the garbage but we don't go to the dump until saturday. Also, I drained from 3 places: transmission, at rear part of driveshaft, and rear axle. Those were the 3 plugs the manual said were all on the same system and filled from the back right next to the top link.