frost plug location for block heater on 97 2120

/ frost plug location for block heater on 97 2120 #1  

audiski86

Tractor
1997 New Holland 2120
I just purchased an engine block heater kit #86590117 from the dealer for a 1997 2120. It says that for applications on 1910, 2110, and 2120 models to use a plug on the right rear, and that the fuel filter has to be moved or adjusted to gain access to it. There are 2 same size plugs that are close to the fuel filter. The one I think it is that is a slight bit closer to the filter is what I would call upper left of filter and the other is lower right and a bit closer to the back of the injection pump, but filter adjustment still might be necessary for access. I just wanted to check to see if anyone was familiar with this before I go ahead and install it in the upper left plug that I think is correct.

/ frost plug location for block heater on 97 2120 #2  
I'll go out and look at mine.

/ frost plug location for block heater on 97 2120 #3  
Mine is in the upper left of the filter. Just above the bracket.

/ frost plug location for block heater on 97 2120 #4  
Just a word of caution. I bought and installed that model heater 2-3 years ago to replace a failed one. I remember there's a screw through the center that, as it tightens, spreads a couple of ears that catch the block each side of the freeze plug drilling. On mine, those ears would not catch the sides of the casting, then stripped the threads out. Then it wouldn't develop enough pressure to expand the rubber. Of course I filled up with coolant before discovering the leak.
I ended up cobbling together the old expander with a new bolt with the new gasket, works fine now. I think the metal of the expander was skimpy for the task. I advise testing the installation with plain water before replacing that with coolant.
Best thing about the heater is cleaner running just after a cold start. Painless starts are a bonus.
Jim