8N Headlights

/ 8N Headlights #1  

Mopar92

Banned
Hi guys, I want to get the headlights working on this tractor. There is no wiring at all in the lights. What all will I need to get? Who sells the switch and wiring kit? I assume I will need a relay? It does have 12 volt sealed beams in it. Thanks.

/ 8N Headlights #2  
fahget the relay...

Ya need a headlamp switch and some 14awg wire and some but connectors.

wire power from the same side of the ammeter that the alternator is hooke dto.. this way the lamps use power correctly in your net charge/discharge system ( ammeter shows discharge with lamps on and ignition off ).

Wire power from there with wire and ring terminal to lamp switch ( fused kind ).. then from there to 1 lamp.. then piggyback to the other lamp. I like running a ground wire fromt he lamp mount base to a good place ont he tractor.. like the alternator hinge.. so the lamps have something other than 50yr old rusty sheetmetal for ground.

all there is to it.

if the lamp is something like a 4419 it will be 55w.. @12v each lamp will consume 4.58 amps of current.. thus 2 will use 9.1a

a 10A SB.. or 15a FA is the fuse I'd use.

If you have 35w lamps, then they each consume 2.91a.. thus 5.83 for 2 of them.. use a 10A FA fuse.. etc.

Soundguy

/ 8N Headlights
I am now doubting they are 12 volt lamps. Can somebody tell me how to tell? If they are 6 volt, they will burn up immediately right? Also, how was the original tractor switched? Meaning the headlights? I can't seem to find an original looking light switch... thanks

/ 8N Headlights #4  
Look on the lamp.. it should have a number...

12v lamps glow dim and orangy yellow on 6v...
6v lamps burn out on 12v with a nice crisp 'pop'..

lamps were a dealer installed optional item.. they use a headlamp switch and built in fuse holder if I remember correctly...

Soundguy

/ 8N Headlights #7  
That will work.. or a 5$ universal one for the auto store would work as well.

Soundguy

/ 8N Headlights
Thanks.... I did see some at the parts store but they did not have a built in fuse. Thats not to say that no parts places have them, just my local did not and I ordered a bunch of parts from this guy so no shipping. Thanks for your help on this... Keith

/ 8N Headlights
OK... 2 questions
I got 14g wire today and connectors. I have an ammeter in the tractor, but it is not hooked up. How do I hook it up? Now that you know it's not working, how would you hook up the wires? From the key switch?

2nd question.... I want to put a master kill switch on the battery. I have a nice master switch from TSC. I have these on all my old Muscle cars hidden and they work great for that pesky battery drain over the winter and between monthly use. I guess I should put this on the negative side? Is the tractor still negative ground even with the delco 12v conversion? I did not do the conversion, so I have no idea about it. Thanks guys. You've all been a great help. Keith

/ 8N Headlights
They work great. thanks for all of the information guys.