Ford 1700 and PTO Generator?

/ Ford 1700 and PTO Generator? #1  

JB4310

Tractor
J.D. 4310 E-hydro
I have a model 1700 ford that I recently bought and was planing on reselling after removing the 6ft rake that came on it. but now I'm thinking of using it's PTO output for a back up electric generating plant.
We rarely loose power but I want to have reliable back up just in case, with a family of 5. We have city water so a well pump is not part of the equation, we have an oil fired boiler for hot water and heat, just one fridge, an electric range, alot of lights, tv's, computer.
There's two scenarios of use, 1st is survival mode, when the power is out and unknown when it would be restored, then it would be used sparingly 1-2 hour intervals 2-3 times a day. the 2nd would be luxury mode when the power is out from a pole down or winter storm etc. then I might run it non stop for 6-8 hours at a time, living like nothing ever happened.
I have gas powered job site generators I use as a contractor, but I want diesel reliability at home for both the above scenarios. I'm thinking of the winco 11 KW they have at Northern or equivalent, I'd never need that much power in survival but probably would use close to that in luxury.
I was looking into stand alone diesel powered gen-sets but they are expensive especially if you want liquid cooling, so since I have the Ford tractor and a back up (JD 4310) all I need is the pto generator, the 1700 puts out 23.3 HP at the PTO according to Nebraska test data, I would mount the generator to a carry all frame and put it in a decent environment for storage taking it out when needed or to test/exercise.
Does anyone know if this tractor would be a good power plant for this application? seems like a stout little 2 cylinder 1.3 liter (Shibaura) engine. From what I've been learning about this subject one big concern is the ability of the engine's governor to keep output current steady enough to not do damage to appliances etc.
The tractor has 2600 hours on it and has to turn 2450 rpm's to get 540 pto speed. one reason I want to go diesel is that I always have 500 plus gallons of #2 on hand, so no gasoline to store.
Sorry for the long winded set up, but any comments, pro or con will be appreciated. John
A couple of pics.

Attachments

• P9059703.JPG
    P9059703.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 795
  • P8299684.JPG
    P8299684.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 567
  • P8279662.JPG
    P8279662.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 1,178
   / Ford 1700 and PTO Generator? #2  
I have the same thoughts. I am going with a stand alone genny. I don't need to have my tractor PTO running at 540 rpm (2300 rpm engine speed) with the chance the tractor will run out of fuel and my injector lines will then suck air. Also, my tractor is 85+ decibels at 2300 rpm. I would not be able to sleep with that noise near my home. Finally, my wife would never be able to hook up the PTO gen, start the tractor, fill it with diesel and know how to bleed the injector lines.

Now, a gasoline fired genny (electric start) with low oil shutoff and gas cans she can handle. She would be "killed" by the tractor thing.
Bob

/ Ford 1700 and PTO Generator? #3  
We used our 25kw for remote power for power tools on occasion, just to keep it loose and dry internally. A neighbor didn't use his for 2 years and it wouldn't generate when the power went out. I do like the idea of a gas generator, though. The ones I've been around are much quieter than our PTO powered one, and governed so you don't need full RPMs at partial load. Good Luck, winter's coming!

/ Ford 1700 and PTO Generator? #4  
I'm of the school that says the less moving parts, the better. An 1800 RPM generator directly coupled to a diesel engine would be quieter, turn slower and probably consume less fuel. I love the engine in my 1910 and theTC40A but a 10KW gen on a 3 cyl Lombardini was a whole lot cheaper and smaller than an outboard Winco PTO and doesn't put hours on your tractor. Another consideration is how fast the engine governor can respond to load changes. Just remember when the need arises, you'll have to hook all that up on a cold, rainy, dark night dodging lightning bolts and vicious vampires... Well, anyway, you get the point! Just my 2 cents!

/ Ford 1700 and PTO Generator?
harwill said:
I'm of the school that says the less moving parts, the better. An 1800 RPM generator directly coupled to a diesel engine would be quieter, turn slower and probably consume less fuel. I love the engine in my 1910 and theTC40A but a 10KW gen on a 3 cyl Lombardini was a whole lot cheaper and smaller than an outboard Winco PTO and doesn't put hours on your tractor. Another consideration is how fast the engine governor can respond to load changes. Just remember when the need arises, you'll have to hook all that up on a cold, rainy, dark night dodging lightning bolts and vicious vampires... Well, anyway, you get the point! Just my 2 cents!

I agree with you 100% on the 4 pole generators (1800 rpm's) for fuel economy, noise and reliability. I've got a 1/2" thick file on them after all the research I've been doing, they would be my first choice if my needs were greater, we have a company near by that puts together 4 pole sets with 3 cyl liquid cooled yanmar engines as low as 5 KW, I don't agree on the price comparison though, those 5-8 KW units (yanmar, Isuzu, Kubota powered) are close to $5,000. or more, you are paying for a super premium engine don't forget. Northern sells a 7 KW pto for $800.00.
Since this planning could be for a real survival emergency, money is not the primary factor for me, but I'd hate to spend more money on a beautiful machine that's just gonna sit there and require upkeep, I figure the tractor is always maintained in top order and always has fresh fuel etc.
As far as noise goes those gas generators would be louder than the tractors I think and as far as engine wear and tear goes the ford turns 2450 rpm to get the 540 pto speed, at 2450 the ford is not that loud and sounds very smooth and stable, not like it's coming apart or anything, plus the ford is not used for anything else special right now so I'm not worried about putting hours on it. Just want to know if the ford 1700 would be up to the task?
The jury is still out for me, not really sure what's best for me, I have definitely overanalyzed this topic though.
One more thing, does anyone know of other PTO generator companies? I've only found Winco, Tigerpower and Northern even after google search.

/ Ford 1700 and PTO Generator? #6  
I have one of northern's 12.5kw jobs... I've used on my 8n as well as my 5000.

For sure.. the 8n struggles with a large load and the gov'ner ain't as fast as it used to be.. but for incandescent and loads like power tools.. it's fine. I've hooke dup a freq meter and vom to it.. and in most cases, the power output is as clean or cleaner than my utility feed.

When i run it on a larger tractor.. like my ford 5000.. it's rock solid steady... you can kick on the well pump and nothing flickers.. etc.

I'm not one of those people that has to run my generator all day and all night.. I like it there to keep the fridge cold for a couple hours at a time.. and to pump up some water, and heat it for a shower.. IE.. intermittant use..

I also have mine mounted on a cary-all... real fast hookup.. 3 pins and a pto shaft..

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 and PTO Generator? #7  
I also say go for the tractor mounted setup. Tractors do not have an issue running at PTO speed for extended periods. One less engien to maintain.
Noise- park a little ways away and cable. Regulation will be fine for appliances unless you overlaod.
Andy

/ Ford 1700 and PTO Generator?
Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm leaning towards the PTO, now does anyone have other sources to compare brands or opinion on the best choice, or does it not make a difference?
I've found Winco, tiger power, Northern, and Imd, does anyone know who make the Northern unit?
As far as noise goes, I also see no reason what so ever to run overnight and was thinking of an over sized muffler to make it a little quieter.
I can't find much on the 1700, there's only a few guys on here with them, I found somewhere that it's 23 H.P. at the pto, seems high to me for a 2 cylinder CUT, but from the reviews that I've seen here and on other searches people swear by them and seem to be almost surprised at how durable they are.

/ Ford 1700 and PTO Generator? #9  
I guess I'm one on the few 1700 owners. Bought it new in '81, sold it in '87. Liked it so much I bought it back in '93. And yes, the owners/operator manual claims a measured 23hp at the pto.
Bob

/ Ford 1700 and PTO Generator? #10  
I run my place in emergency mode from a 5000 watt Winco powered by the natural gas pipeline running a 12 hp. Briggs engine. I use wood heat, gas for cooking and hot water. The freezer is only on for limited times as needed, and the referigerator is then off line. Ditto the water pump. I ran separate circuits for the generator powered outlets as part of remodeling project. I could run a bigger unit, but this one cost $25 at auction, complete with all switches and such so it seems a shame to not use it.

I guess what I'm saying is that you probably can get along just fine with less generator, which might make your tractor work better to power it. Personally, I would rather not risk ruining the tractor engine, but dairy farmers around here will run a 100 hp or bigger tractor 24/7 during a power outage to keep the milk flowing and safe, driving compressors and everything else from the tractor powered genny.