Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor?

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #11  
Farmwithjunk said:
An accumulator? They usually have a nitrogen charged bladder to hold pressure on a hydraulic system much as a water tower does on a municipal water system.

Exactly. That's how careless or unknowing folks get hurt or killed by the hydraulics on a 6000 after it has been parked and shut off.

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor?
Farmwithjunk said:
As time goes by, the numbers of QUALIFIED SelectoSpeed tranny technicians is dwindling. Parts are becoming scarce and expensive. That should make a 6000 worth MORE as a collectable, and LESS as a working tractor. The 6000's that were "re-fit" are getting long in the tooth, being 40+ years old. I sure wouldn't want to invest in one as a worker. The SOS tranny is a a high maintenance item by all standards. Combine that with age and higher hp, and you could have yourself a big yard ornament.

All things being equal, I still want to own a late model 4000SU diesel w/SOS someday!

Yes, another key factor. I've decided not to fool with it. It's a good-looking tractor but better units can be had for the same money.

Soundguy said:
They also have a quite unique ( for ford ) hyd system in that it had a ? nitrogen charge that let you operate the lift in a limited manner after shutdown of the tractor.. etc..

Yep.. a strange bird indeed..

Soundguy

Many tractors have nitrogen accumulators. My 1970s & 1980s Deere backhoes all had them. I thought they were primarily to cushion the hydraulic valves from the shock wave caused by a rapid stop eg. the 1-yard loader bucker filled with clay soil that you stop falling by letting go of the loader control handle - the pressure change is significant.

But they do also store energy and presumably can be used for that. Older locomotives, ships, cranes, etc all have used accumulators.

Perhaps a bit like adding a bladder tank to your home water system - it makes pressure chanhges easier on your well & valves but also stores water pressure.

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #14  
Different deal. An accumulator plumbed into a work port on a loader or hoe is a whole different situation than one plumbed between the pump and valve in a closed center system where high pressure oil is trapped. No other farm tractor or CUT I am aware of uses this system, and it has surprised more than a few unlucky people.

RickB said:
Different deal. An accumulator plumbed into a work port on a loader or hoe is a whole different situation than one plumbed between the pump and valve in a closed center system where high pressure oil is trapped. No other farm tractor or CUT I am aware of uses this system, and it has surprised more than a few unlucky people.

What's the point of having it in a closed-center system then? And presumably you're talking about the tractor moving after it's been shut off - say while you're hooking up an implement?

My neighbor said the issue with his SOS was that you couldn't leave it running as it might jump into gear at any time. He didn't mention the accumulator though.

In the end the accumulator does the same thing though - cushions & saves pressure - yes?

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #16  
No.. he's not talking about the tractor moving.. he's talking about the hyds still having limited live pressure to the 3pt lift after the tractor is shut off.

I don't believe for one second about an SOS jumping into gear any more than I believe a gear tractor will spontaniously shift into gear... I've heard stories.. but never seen pics...

Now.. that said.. SOS trans can certaintly 'creep'.. much like we have heard HST trans can creep.. but that's a whole different thing than shifting into gear.

Soundguy

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #17  
No.. he's not talking about the tractor moving.. he's talking about the hyds still having limited live pressure to the 3pt lift after the tractor is shut off.

I don't believe for one second about an SOS jumping into gear any more than I believe a gear tractor will spontaniously shift into gear... I've heard stories.. but never seen pics...

Now.. that said.. SOS trans can certaintly 'creep'.. much like we have heard HST trans can creep.. but that's a whole different thing than shifting into gear.

Soundguy

Soundguy said:

Soundguy

Believe what you like.

I don't know the SOS. Two of my neighbors - including the one who had one run over his foot and refers to them as the death-o-matic - say they will engage from vibration.

I know the difference between creep - which my newer hydro JD & Kubota each do - and engagement. The JD (4310) likes to disengage under load (on a hill) BTW - and no it isn't a lever adjustment, it's been twice to the dealer.

I've had 2 Powr-Shift JDs (60s & 70s) - both with broken parks - that would engage by themselves via rough idle and worn linkage. My TD-8 dozer would engage by itself also. I've had trucks and a car or two do it as well.

Comparison to a gear tractor doesn't seem relevant: you need to disengage the clutch on a gear drive to mesh the gears. On an AT/ Powr-shift you just move the lever. That's why the guides all have lock levers - which are frequently broken off on older units.

Leaving anything running while you work on an implement is foolish IMO - even on level greound - but I see folks do it every day.

It never occured to me to trust an running AT as I have seen them engage so many times.

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #19  
The SOS can creep.. that would be a reasonable explanation to a foot being run over.

A gear tractor popping out of gear is 100% different scenerio than a gear tractor popping into gear.

A SOS tractor is a geared tranny.. just has hydro clutches and what not. There needs to be positive slide cable movement to change between gears.

Lots of people that get hurt around tractors because they do stupid things.. then when they have to explain it they blame it on a mechanical failure. I've seen alot of 'clutch slipped'.. and what not that turne dout to be 'foot slipped off clutch'.. etc.

The biggest probelms I have seen come from tractors with hand clutches... Like a jd B.. etc... Farmer drives up to gate, pulls clutch out, but leaves trans in gear.. gets down, unlocks gate, hops back on tractor, pops clutch in and goes... now.. that's an accident waiting to happen.. the combination of vibration and weak detents can and WILL cause that hand clutch to pop back to engaged NO problem.. I've seen it on my B before i serviced it to correct it... And that's not even a true example of 'popping into gear'.. as the tractor is already in gear, and is just 'clutched'. etc.

It's a sad fact.. but shortcuts cause accidents.. and not everybody is man enough to admit that or take personal responsibility... In fact.. personal responsibility is becoming a thing of the past in our society... less of it every day... People are always looking for something to be someone/something else's fault...

Soundguy

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #20  
One of the problems with the earliest models using the SOS was they did tend to find their way into "1st gear" from park while idling. A slight movement of the tractor (ie a bumping it while hooking up an implement while tractor was idling in park) would send it on its way without an operator. I saw the aftermath of that particular problem. (A nearly destroyed barn)

It had nothing to do with the hydraulics and/or an accumulator.