Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor?

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #1  

jfh0jfh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, JD 710, Case 450
I'm looking for a an older tractor to run a larger bush hog, some misc work. Thought 50-70 HP would do it. Found a decent Ford 6000 diesel ~ 1959 I think. A solid older tractor (condition) and proced reasonably.

Anyone know about these? I see some 5000s but few 6000s for sale.

Additional info:

I just read that Ford introduced this tractor in 1962 so it's probably not a 1959.

Also saw "The Ford 6000 was a failure, however, and Ford was forced to replace all of them due to technical problems."

Last edited:
   / Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #2  
The 6000 was a departure from fords previous lne of tractors up to the 5000.

It came ONLY with an SOS tranny.. which, in the early years, were plauged by problems.

if you have found a good running , and driving 6000 that has been taken care of.. and you can get it for a good price.. go for it.. with the thought inmind that a tranny repair will be a nightmare in heck...

IMHO.. get a good late diesel 5000 with an 8spd.. it will have better steering than the early 5000.. and a common sump system.... it is 70 hp and will do just about anything a 6000 will do.. plus.. if you get the 8spd.. it is one of fords best designs.. it's practically bulletproof..

parts are widely available for the 5000 and variants ( 5600.. etc.. )

I have a 5000 and pull a 10' mower with it..

Soundguy

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #3  
Stay away from a 6000 unless you are a collector of antique tractors. They are a novelty tractor that has little real value to someone who buys a tractor to use and be productive. To those who might own a 6000 and be offended to read this post, I offer no apology; my opinion is bought and paid for. I would not own one of these tractors and have to depend on it for anything.

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #4  
Hi Rick, I don't own a 6000 but someday would like to as they are unique Ford tractors. Even the literature was unique for the 6000's. It would never be a main tractor but it would be fun for a collectable.

You would have a better idea then I would, but what was the problem with the original 6000's (the red and grey ones) that caused Ford to recall them all and end up repainting them blue and grey? Is there any proof that every 6000 that was recalled was repaired? If not then there should be a red/grey original 6000 sitting around somewhere worth a lot of green to the right Ford collector.

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor?
Soundguy said:
The 6000 was a departure from fords previous lne of tractors up to the 5000.

It came ONLY with an SOS tranny.. which, in the early years, were plauged by problems.

if you have found a good running , and driving 6000 that has been taken care of.. and you can get it for a good price.. go for it.. with the thought inmind that a tranny repair will be a nightmare in heck...

IMHO.. get a good late diesel 5000 with an 8spd.. it will have better steering than the early 5000.. and a common sump system.... it is 70 hp and will do just about anything a 6000 will do.. plus.. if you get the 8spd.. it is one of fords best designs.. it's practically bulletproof..

parts are widely available for the 5000 and variants ( 5600.. etc.. )

I have a 5000 and pull a 10' mower with it..

Soundguy

Thanks. That's good advice on the 5000. A couple of other local folks said the same thing.

This 6000 is decent, good hours, original. And cheap so I thought it might be worth having for limited use and some collectorpotential. But the pre-65 select-o-matic (what my neighbor calls the death-o-matic for it's willingness to engage a gear by itself) is just not worth fooling with.

The 6000 does have a cool look though.

RickB said:
Stay away from a 6000 unless you are a collector of antique tractors. They are a novelty tractor that has little real value to someone who buys a tractor to use and be productive. To those who might own a 6000 and be offended to read this post, I offer no apology; my opinion is bought and paid for. I would not own one of these tractors and have to depend on it for anything.

Thanks. Yes, that seems to be the consensus. I thought it might have collector potential and be of limited use.

Robert_in_NY said:
Hi Rick, I don't own a 6000 but someday would like to as they are unique Ford tractors. Even the literature was unique for the 6000's. It would never be a main tractor but it would be fun for a collectable.

You would have a better idea then I would, but what was the problem with the original 6000's (the red and grey ones) that caused Ford to recall them all and end up repainting them blue and grey? Is there any proof that every 6000 that was recalled was repaired? If not then there should be a red/grey original 6000 sitting around somewhere worth a lot of green to the right Ford collector.

The main problem was the SOS transmission which was fixed by a 1965 redesign. But Motors and axles were weak also. Mainly thought an SOS rebuild would cost more than the tractor would ever be worth.

The red & grey (old-color) units were < 62 I think. They are the worst mechanically.

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #8  
As time goes by, the numbers of QUALIFIED SelectoSpeed tranny technicians is dwindling. Parts are becoming scarce and expensive. That should make a 6000 worth MORE as a collectable, and LESS as a working tractor. The 6000's that were "re-fit" are getting long in the tooth, being 40+ years old. I sure wouldn't want to invest in one as a worker. The SOS tranny is a a high maintenance item by all standards. Combine that with age and higher hp, and you could have yourself a big yard ornament.

All things being equal, I still want to own a late model 4000SU diesel w/SOS someday!

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #9  
They also have a quite unique ( for ford ) hyd system in that it had a ? nitrogen charge that let you operate the lift in a limited manner after shutdown of the tractor.. etc..

Yep.. a strange bird indeed..

Soundguy

/ Ford 6000 ~ 1959 - good tractor? #10  
Soundguy said:
They also have a quite unique ( for ford ) hyd system in that it had a ? nitrogen charge that let you operate the lift in a limited manner after shutdown of the tractor.. etc..

Yep.. a strange bird indeed..

Soundguy

An accumulator? They usually have a nitrogen charged bladder to hold pressure on a hydraulic system much as a water tower does on a municipal water system.