more power

/ more power #31  
All I see after reading the posts are;" most "gearheads" which most of us on this forum are; want to get as much HP as we can out of our tractor. Some will go to more extremes than others. If that is what they want; go for it. I tried to get as much HP out of my TC 29. But I took the easy route; I had the dealer hook it up to their PTO dyno and adjust the settings to get as much HP that the settings allowed. It smokes a little more that others I see but I got the HP!! All of the posts have been correct about HP vs weight vs work etc. Forget it; he wants more HP; go for it; then the next challenge will be to stop wheel spin or hydro "lag". Sounds just like racing; one thing leads to another. I hope you do something to let us know results.

/ more power #32  
dfkrug

The observation(about the size of the HST) was made by others, which made the HST stall experience less scary.

I personally think that they made a good design choice, but I can see both sides. NH made a very robust, state-of-the-art tractor that was applicable to a good range of horsepower, with lots of common parts.

Unless one is pulling a plow, the HST limit can actually be useful(it keeps things from breaking). The higher HP 45 is good for people pulling mowers and running generators. As Jinman has said, the TC40 is probably the sweet spot.

If NH had designed the series with a 45 hp hst, and turned it down for the others, it probably would have added another XXXX to the price of all the sizes. If they designed an HST for each, it would have been even more.

I would note that at least one other major vendors has this same issue(the HST stalls before the engine) on at least some of their tractors.

Chris

P.S. I bought mine used(at a dealer but sourced from a farm). I had been targeting a 40, but this one came along for a good price. I was specifically targeting loader capability, and that is the only reason I did not look at the 35.

/ more power #33  
dynasim said:
The higher HP 45 is good for people pulling mowers and running generators. As Jinman has said, the TC40 is probably the sweet spot.

Definately not for running wood chippers, mowers, tillers etc. Give me all the PTO hp you've can get.

10 hp difference on a 6-8" chipper is hugh.

Andy

/ more power #34  
dynasim said:
dfkrug
If NH had designed the series with a 45 hp hst, and turned it down for the others, it probably would have added another XXXX to the price of all the sizes. If they designed an HST for each, it would have been even more.
You hit the perfect solution there! XXXX would have been approximately 0% of the tractor cost rounded to the nearest %. So why didnt they do it and just put a different spring in the relief valve! Uh... probably poor planning. The 35 came 1st?
larry

/ more power #35  
AndyMA said:
Definately not for running wood chippers, mowers, tillers etc. Give me all the PTO hp you've can get.

10 hp difference on a 6-8" chipper is hugh.

Andy
Hugh may resent that.

/ more power #36  
It is more than the spring. The whole driveline is designed within the limits of the maximum torque available from the HST. If you change the spring, you change everything. I guess the NH engineers should have had some guts, and just set the spring higher, and then beared the brunt of the failed axles, gears, u-joints, and casings. Imagine the thanks they would have received for doing so!! I'll bet they are sorry for missing that opportunity!

What is funny is that I am in no way discouraging the fella from doing whatever.

I am sorry I could not help.

Have a warm evening, as it snowed here today(the first real one of the year). It was refreshing.

Chris

/ more power #37  
dynasim said:
The whole driveline is designed within the limits of the maximum torque available from the HST.

Have a warm evening, as it snowed here today(the first real one of the year). It was refreshing.

Chris

I saw the snow on the weather report. It is 50 here at 5 am. It'll probably be in the 70s before the end of he day.:)

Regarding our tractor's driveline.... Don't forget that all our tractors have gear-driven siblings that share the components in the rear differential and PTO. Only our HSTs are unique. I think most of our tractors' components are designed to be able to take all the power and torque of the gear models.

One of these days I may get mikim to let me drive his gear TC45 so I can see if it feels a lot stronger than my HST model. I'm just a bit curious.

/ more power #39  
dqdave1 said:
All I see after reading the posts are;" most "gearheads" which most of us on this forum are; want to get as much HP as we can out of our tractor. Some will go to more extremes than others. If that is what they want; go for it. I tried to get as much HP out of my TC 29. But I took the easy route; I had the dealer hook it up to their PTO dyno and adjust the settings to get as much HP that the settings allowed. It smokes a little more that others I see but I got the HP!! All of the posts have been correct about HP vs weight vs work etc. Forget it; he wants more HP; go for it; then the next challenge will be to stop wheel spin or hydro "lag". Sounds just like racing; one thing leads to another. I hope you do something to let us know results.

Now you can't make a post like this without giving some numbers!!! 29hp to ??. I'm also curious what you needed more hp for or what you wanted it for.

I'm sort of surprised the dealer would do such a thing on a new tractor (still in warranty?). Now if something breaks the factory could have a problem with the fix, especially if they found out the dealer made a change. The failure could be anything for a burned piston, overheated, to a broken axle.

Rob

/ more power #40  
They never told me what the rating was; all they said was they got as much HP as they could with what they were alowed to do. Maybe RickB can add to this as all diesals have some adjustment.