Bucket for 758C Back Hoe

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe #1  

gregkabob

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC45DA
I currently have a 16" bucket on the BH and would like to get a smaller one say around 9" for trenching and rooting out trees. I saw a guy next door that had a bigger tractor than mine using a small bucket on it to dig up and rip the roots. I was thinking that a smaller bucket would concentrate more of the force on the roots and I wouldn't have to do as much digging to get them out.

New Holland only offers a 12" as the smallest to fit on the 758C (according to their site).

Doe's anyone know or have a link to a place that sells buckets to fit this BH?

Thanks all

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe #2  
I ran a 758 for years with a 18" bucket. Currently I run a Woods 1050 with 24 and 12" buckets. Even the 12 is hard to get stuff out of (especially mud, rocks and roots) . Personally I think 12 is as small as you'd like to go.
Andy

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe #3  
I have a 757C with an 18" and the 12" inch buckets. I really like the 12" for maintaining my drive side ditch and for trenching. I also have a Bro-Tek thumb and I know he sells a ripper as a bucket replacement Bro-Tek Ripper Tooth. Not sure that he has one for you hoe, but might be worth asking.

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe #4  
AndyMA said:
I ran a 758 for years with a 18" bucket. Currently I run a Woods 1050 with 24 and 12" buckets. Even the 12 is hard to get stuff out of (especially mud, rocks and roots) . Personally I think 12 is as small as you'd like to go.
Andy

I'm with Andy. I have a woods BH80-X with 9 & 18" buckets. Sure wish I went for 12 & 24". The 9" clogs up easy. For doing stumps, I find I need to dig around the stump a bit to expose the root for breaking or cutting. The 9" is pretty slow for getting rid of that excess dirt. I just leave the 18" on now.

For trenching - does it really matter if you have a foot wide trench vs. 9" wide? Both will take the same amount of time to dig.

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe
Thanks guys for your responses. I appreciate the input.

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe #6  
I have a 757C with both a 16" and 9" bucket. I was able to get my 9" bucket through my New Holland dealer about 2 years ago. It was a little pricey, but we use it for trenching quite often.

Jeff

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe #7  
I have a 8" bucket and it works well for ripping the roots when attacking stumps. They make root rippers also aftermart. Do a search ; they work well but you would have to dig first then change. We need a hydraulic bucket adaptor!

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe #8  
The Woods buckets have a power position pin hole that increases the mechanical advantage by about 1.5x. The bucket wont curl all the way up in this position but it is meant to increase break-out force. This is how I dig pine trees... I use a 12" and dig the dirt from around the stump but leave a bottom shelf under each leader root and then put it in the power pin hole and use the dirt bottom as a fulcrum cut the root leaders by curling the bucket. I've cut/snapped 8" pine roots this way and also lifted the tractor up on nothing but the pads.
If you look close you can see the two curl cylinder pin holes in the bucket.
I have the bracket cad drawings from Woods if you want to use a different brand bucket and make the brackets. I'll post them.
P5200005 (Small).JPG

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe #9  
My gannon buckets (woods) do not have this power position. Is it new?

/ Bucket for 758C Back Hoe #10  
I use the 12" bucket and wouldn't recommend that you go smaller. Sometimes it's a real bear to get it to empty.