Optima for TC34

/ Optima for TC34 #1  

mjcbluridg

Tractor
NH TC34DA
It appears that the factory battery in my 2 year old TC34 is starting to leak, as has happened to others at TBN. The "perfect fit" AGM-style battery would be an Optima D51, but they have suspended production of these due to manufacturing issues.

I have searched through the TBN archives and seen the varying solutions others have implemented. I have not seen pictures of the approach that I might take. The Optima 25 is a larger unit than factory, but appears just small enough to fit. Will have to modify or fabricate the hold down.

I am curious if anyone out there has tried to fit a group 25 or 35 size Optima into their class II New Holland and how it turned out? thanks

/ Optima for TC34 #2  
Are you sure you have 6.7" between the radiator and the hood lock mechanism?

/ Optima for TC34
As far as the size of the group 25 battery, I wasn't sure. I had one reserved at Batteries Plus and was going to see if it fit. But when I went to pick it up, there was a pleasant surprise. They had just received their first order of Optima group 51 batteries, which had been unavailable for 2 years. Apparently, Optima finally resolved their production/quality issues with this particular unit. So, I dropped $180 on a battery. It fit perfectly and I didn't even have to modify the hold-down bracket. So, I'm happy. My 2 year old OEM battery had not ruined the radiator or caused anything to rust and now I'm not worried about that happening. We'll see how long the Optima lasts.
Bring on the snow!

/ Optima for TC34 #6  
Glad to hear Optima is producing the group 51's again. I looked at that when I was replacing my OEM battery but as you said, it was out of production. It's always good to have choices.

You shouldn't have any corrision problems with the sealed battery. I cleaned and painted my battery box a couple years after I bought the tractor and again when I installed the Oddessy battery. So far, the new battery shows no signs of the same behavior as the factory one.