That dreaded "Pop" sound

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #11  
johns_dmax said:
When I had my TC-30 in the shop for some work the guy there cautioned me on using the loader in 4WD. He said the extra strain on the front end could break the gears.(
Kind of defeats the purpose of having 4WD. Loader work is often when 4 WD is needed the most.
In my opinion having plenty of rear ballast is important when doing loader work.
If the rear wheels are not well planted on the ground when doing loader work the front axle and gears will be doing all the work greatly increasing your risk of breakage.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #12  
The guy sounded a little overly cautious on the use of the machine. He didn't like the grapple I had added and said when they put a loader on the TC-30 they always use the "heavy duty" bucket that was half the size of the one I had. They also must have turned down the pressure on the hydralics because it used to do the front wheels of the ground with the loader bit but now just lifts the front up a little. Haven't had a problem using it as yet so no big deal. Oh yea, it stays in 4WD most of the time. Just try not to "overload the front axle".

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #13  
I won't beleive much this man says. Units are manufactored with 4 wheel drive for a reason. If loader would strain system, CNH would not mount loaders on 4 wd units and publish a warning in the manual.
If you broke drivelines while in 4 wd when using loaders, there would be a special thread devoted to it.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #14  
johns_dmax said:
When I had my TC-30 in the shop for some work the guy there cautioned me on using the loader in 4WD. He said the extra strain on the front end could break the gears. Sounds like what happened to you. :(
Maybe the mechanic is just a 'belt and suspenders' kind of guy. :D

My guess the reason for his warning is, with a front end weighed down by a full bucket and the back end weighed down for safety, none of the 4 tires can easily slip should the driveline bind up.

When I dug out (by hand) all our stalls and filled them with 2A limestone topped by stone dust, the only place the driver could get his tri-axle into was a short, dirt driveway. The stalls were over a 1,000' down a paved road requiring a 90 degree right hand turn into a paved driveway. If I had to use 4wd to push the bucket into the pile, I took it out of 4wd once I backed away from the pile. 90 degree turns on a high friction surface with a 'locked' driveline didn't stike me as a healthy combination.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #15  
That's what I was thinking Mike. He was getting maximum purchase with all wheels, and there was no slipping. When I use the TC48 in 4WD with the loader, it seems that one, or two wheels are spinning when I reach the full bucket, or before. No give in his drive line, full torque going to front axle. Bing, something's gotta give. Shame it didn't stall the engine out first.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #16  
johns_dmax said:
When I had my TC-30 in the shop for some work the guy there cautioned me on using the loader in 4WD. He said the extra strain on the front end could break the gears. Sounds like what happened to you. :(

Never heard of such a thing. My 40D applies 4WD automatically whenever the wheels start to slip, loader or no loader.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #17  
PineRidge said:
Never heard of such a thing. My 40D applies 4WD automatically whenever the wheels start to slip, loader or no loader.
Auto 4wd is a function of your 40D having SuperSteer, on non-SS models, it's a mechanical engagement. I wonder if SS also disengages 4WD if the driveline begins to bind?

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #18  
MikePA said:
Auto 4wd is a function of your 40D having SuperSteer, on non-SS models, it's a mechanical engagement. I wonder if SS also disengages 4WD if the driveline begins to bind?

Mike can't answer that question myself, really not sure.

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #19  
johns_dmax said:
No excuse for a tractor like that. Equipment should be suited to its purpose. If the customer will allow less we will get hammers that you are 'abusing' if you swing them too hard.
larry

/ That dreaded "Pop" sound #20  
SPYDERLK said:
No excuse for a tractor like that. Equipment should be suited to its purpose. If the customer will allow less we will get hammers that you are 'abusing' if you swing them too hard.
larry
IOW you are saying when locked in 4wd, and with all 4 tires on a high friction surface a tractor should suffer no damage when the drive line binds up because the wheels can not turn at different speeds.:rolleyes: 4wd, on these tractors, is designed for use on low friction surfaces, just like my 4wd truck that contains a warning in the owers manual and on the sun visor not to operate in 4wd on dry pavement.